introduction

pre

A sleepy precinct in the mountains of Tennesse settled in for another monotonous night. It was quiet here -- this was the type of place where people left their doors unlocked at night. The crime here was usually just teenagers testing the limits.

That had changed a year ago -- the sheriff's son was convicted of unlawful imprisonment and kidnapping among other things, the details horrific. It had rocked the town -- he was their golden boy.

And while nobody would say it out loud, those charges all made them wonder if the whispers about what happened to his last girlfriend had been true -- she was the county's only missing person after all. 

The door chime sounded, every pair of eyes shifted to the door. Every pair of eyes widened at the woman in the doorway -- like they had seen a ghost. 

Because to them, she was one. 

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"You're doing the right thing." 

Ryan swallowed hard. It sure didn't feel like he was doing the right thing -- hiring high powered attorneys to file for emergency custody of Caroline. 

He looked up at his sister. When Lydia drove away, he didn't know who else to call, who else could help. And when she suggested this, he was hesitant -- he had promised Lydia that he'd never do this. 

But Lydia had promised she'd never leave either. That betrayal left a bitter enough taste in his mouth to propel him forward. 

"So what now?" Ryan looked up at his lawyers. "What happens next?"

"We have an emergency hearing on Tuesday. The judge is going to see that Lydia is a flight risk and he's going to give you custody." The lawyer smirked. 

Ryan wasn't actually sure this was what he wanted. All he wanted was to know where Caroline is and if she was safe. And why. He needed to know why Lydia had done this. "Will she be there?"

"Your daughter? Probably not. But if Lydia is smart, she'll be there." The lawyer shut his folder. "I will see you Tuesday." 

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

playlist

Pretty Amazing Grace -- Neil Diamond

Slow -- Andy Grammer

Stand By Me -- Weezer

Patient Love -- Passenger

Small Bump -- Ed Sheeran

You Show Know Better  -- Andy Grammer

Sweet Creature -- Harry Styles

The Bones -- Maren Morris

Adore You -- Harry Styles

Chapters will be posted on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

**as always, this story is a work of fiction and in no way should reflect on the real life counterparts featured in this story

***the storyline and original characters are mine. please don't steal my ideas. i work really hard and spend a lot of time on my work and it's never a good feeling to see somebody take an idea. so please don't. i'm more than happy to help you come up with an original idea.

**** There will be mentions of abuse and I will label those as necessary. If I don't trigger warning something and you think it should be, please leave a comment or shoot me a message -- I will not be upset and will change it immediately. 

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Alright, so what predictions do we have for this story? Let me know!