six

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Ryan asked once they were both out of the bar, into the cool fall air.

Chase leaned against the Bronco, pulling a hand through his hair. "It wasn't Lydia calling, it was Caroline. She was crying so I couldn't really hear what she was saying but she handed the phone to a social worker or somebody. Lydia collapsed at home and Caroline had to call 9-1-1. They are taking her to the Lake Norman Medical Center."

"She collapsed?" Ryan shook his head, his stomach churning. This couldn't be happening. "Is she okay?" Ryan's world was spinning. She had to be okay. They couldn't end things where they did, those awful words couldn't be the last things he said to her. It couldn't be.

Chase shrugged. "The person I talked to didn't know."

"I think I'm going to be sick," Ryan muttered, thankful for the trash can a few feet away.

"It's going to be okay." Chase awkwardly patted his back while Ryan hovered over the trash can, emptying his stomach contents. It was probably for the best -- Ryan didn't really want to show up to the hospital drunk.

"Can I have my phone?" Ryan outstretched his palm. "I need to talk to Caroline."

Chase nodded, pulling Ryan's phone from his pocket. "I'm sorry for taking it." Guilt flashed through Chase's face.

Ryan waved his apology off. "No way you could've known, man. Will you stay at the hospital with me though? I'm probably going to have to take Caroline home."

"Of course, whatever you guys need. We should probably get going though." Chase flashed a weak smile before they both climbed into their respective seats.

Ryan pulled up Lydia's contact, pressing the call button. He pressed his phone to his ear, biting his lip as he listened to the rings.

"Daddy?" Caroline answered the phone. "I'm scared."

Ryan's heart sank as he tried to choke his guilt down and focus on making sure Caroline was okay. "I'm on my way. Where are you right now?"

"I'm in the waiting room. Momma said they're taking her for surgery. I'm with this nice lady who gave me a snack but --" Caroline paused, her voice quivering a little. "I'm scared. When will you be here?"

"I'll be there in ten minutes, okay? I love you, Caroline." Ryan closed his eyes, trying to prevent any tears from falling. She sounded so little and scared. He hated himself for not answering his phone call the first time she called, then maybe she wouldn't be so scared.

"I love you too, Daddy." Caroline hung up the phone, a small sob escaping Ryan's lips. He couldn't contain his feelings any longer. This was a new kind of broken that he was feeling -- the guilt crushing him so he could no longer breathe.

Maybe Stacy had been right -- that he was worthless. He had been trying so hard to be the father that Caroline deserved and he knew that he had failed her. He had put what happened between him and Lydia ahead of Caroline and that made him a failure.

Ryan buried his face in his hands and cried. Cried for the guilt and the overwhelming feelings of failure. He cried because he had no idea if Lydia was going to be okay. Cried because he loves Lydia and he was about eighty-five percent sure that didn't matter anymore.