four

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Lydia gripped the steering wheel, trying to find a little composure before she had to go in and pick Caroline up.

She knew that she needed to go to the ER but she didn't want Caroline to worry. When she picked Caroline up from Louisa's, Lydia could tell that Caroline suspected that something was going on.

Caroline didn't know that Lydia was pregnant and Lydia was afraid that if she took Caroline to the ER with her, Caroline would find out. She wanted Caroline to find out in a special way and in the ER, was not it.

On her way over, she had called one of the teenagers that babysat for her, asking if she could come after Caroline was asleep and stay for a while. Thankfully, she agreed so all Lydia had to do was get through the next few hours and then she could figure out what was going on.

Lydia's phone buzzed for the eighth time in an hour. Lydia didn't even have to look at her phone to know who it was -- Ryan. When she woke up today, she had been eager to talk to Ryan, to tell him what had happened. But after their confrontation outside of the bathroom, she had no urge to talk to him.

Lydia knew eventually she'd have to talk to him but today? Today, Lydia was going to allow herself to hide from her pain, to avoid processing it. She had known that there was no way that she was going to come out of this nightmare unscathed but she hadn't quite anticipated that she'd end up feeling like this.

What was she even feeling? Lydia didn't even know. She was so confused, her mind so foggy from the pain that she knew sending Ryan to voicemail again was the best option.

Lydia let out a small sigh, turning her car off. She knew the quicker that she could get Caroline home, the quicker she could get through their evening routine and have Caroline off to bed. Usually, she loved spending time with Caroline but the only thing on Lydia's mind was getting to the emergency room so she could figure out what this pain was.

"Here we go." Lydia murmured to herself as she opened her door. "I can do this."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Momma, are you okay?" Caroline shook Lydia awake.

Lydia nodded slowly. "I had a busy day at work so I'm a little tired." That was true. On top of the pain, there was sheer exhaustion and once Caroline had been fed dinner, Lydia found herself on the couch. She hadn't meant to doze off but she did.

"Can I take a bath?" Caroline asked.

Lydia nodded, sitting up and swinging her legs so she could stand up. Once she had propelled herself into a standing position, a wave of pain slammed through Lydia's body.

Something was really wrong.

Lydia knew that she couldn't drive to the ER herself. Fumbling with her phone, she pressed Ryan's contact information, hoping that he'd answer. They weren't on the best terms but Lydia hoped that Ryan could set that aside, if not for her but for Caroline.

"You have reached Ryan Blaney's voicemai --" Lydia's heart sank as she ended the call -- it had only rung a few times, a clear indicator that he had sent her to voicemail.

Lydia blinked back the tears. She hated this -- hated that things were turning out this way. But mostly she hated that she was going to have to call an ambulance to come and get her and scare Caroline.

"Caroline," Lydia gritted. "Momma is feeling really sick right now." Another wave of pain sent Lydia staggering back onto the couch. The room was spinning, the edge of her vision was starting to fuzz and blacken.

A sinking feeling crossed over Lydia -- she was going to pass out and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Lydia grabbed her phone, unlocking it. "Caroline, I need you to call 9-1-1. Can you do that for Momma? Tell them that your mom is in a lot of pain and she's going to pass out. Make sure you tell them our address. It's going to be okay."

Lydia blinked a few times, using every bit of strength that she had to stay conscious. With wide eyes, Caroline took the phone, dialing 9-1-1.

Tears slipped down Lydia's cheeks as she listened to Caroline talk to the 9-1-1 dispatcher. She was struggling to stay awake, the darkness quickly enclosing on her.

"Caroline." She heard herself saying as she started fading away. "Make sure you call Daddy. Keep calling him until he answers. He's in my phone as Ryan. I love you."

She didn't hear Caroline's answers as the darkness pulled her in. As consciousness faded, Lydia's mind replayed everything that had happened. Her mind lingered on Ryan, on the unexpected happiness that he had brought into her life.

But that happiness soured as Ryan's face -- his eyes wide, face red with anger -- as he yelled at her outside of the bathroom. That memory replayed in her mind over and over, his words imprinting into her mind.

But another memory flashed in her mind -- this one was the last memory she had of Kyle. His eyes were wide, face red with anger as he yelled at her about what a bitch she was. She couldn't shake the comparison her brain was making, even though she really didn't want to make that comparison.

"Ma'am." Lydia's eyes flew open, coming face to face with a paramedic. "Welcome back. We're loading you now. I'm assuming your daughter is coming with?"

Lydia nodded weakly. "Where is she?" Lydia croaked, trying to sit up so she could see Caroline. She couldn't -- she was restrained by a strap to keep her safely in place.

"She's sitting up front. She's trying to get ahold of her dad, I think. Do you have any idea what caused you to pass out? Any medical history we should be aware of?"

"Pain, down here." Lydia pointed to where the pain seemed to originate from. "I'm pregnant, maybe four, five weeks?" Her voice quivered a little.

The baby. It had barely been a thought but now, all she could do was hope that the baby was alright. The last thing she needed was to lose this baby -- she'd never be able to face Ryan again if she did.

The paramedic smiled, patting her hand. "We're going to take care of you. For now, I'm going to give you something to take the edge off of the pain. Hang tight, alright?"

Lydia nodded, letting out a slow and steady breath, watching as the paramedic injected something into her IV.

Lydia closed her eyes, waiting for the medication to work. She hated this -- hated that she hadn't been in control of anything that had happened to her in the last four days. Between Stacy threatening her into ending things with Ryan and forcing her to flee to Ryan forcing an emergency court hearing to try and take custody. Add in whatever was going on with her body, Lydia's life was so far out of control, she felt like she was in a tailspin.

The medicine filled her system, her body relaxing and her mind growing heavy. The last thought she had before she fell into a medically induced sleep was that she hoped Ryan would answer his phone so Caroline didn't have to sit at the hospital alone.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃