fourteen

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Daddy," Caroline's big blue eyes shined up at her father as he pulled a blanket over her body. "What's a paternity test?"

Ryan froze for a minute, his heart sinking a little. He had been desperately clinging to the hope that Caroline hadn't actually heard Elle say that.

"Well." Ryan sat on the edge of her bed, trying to think of a way to explain the concept to her. "A paternity test is a test a man and a child take to see if that man is the child's father." He winced at the awkwardness but Caroline's eyes widened a little in understanding.

"Are we going to take one?" She whispered, her eyes wide.

"No sweetheart." Ryan smoothed her hair. "We don't need one. You are my daughter and I have never doubted that for a second." Caroline looked hot, flashing a grin — an identical grin to his. Ryan's breath caught in his throat, forming a lump.

Caroline was so perfect, so perfectly his carbon copy. It was beyond him how anybody, especially Elle, could try to deny that she was his daughter.

That hurt just as much as Elle trying to defend Stacy. He didn't understand why she couldn't or wouldn't accept Caroline.

"I love you." Caroline reached up, her tiny arms wrapping around Ryan's neck. "I'm glad you're my Daddy."

Tears threatened to spill onto his cheeks but he blinked them back. "I love you too. I'm so lucky that I get to be your Daddy." Ryan smoothed Caroline's hair again. "But it's time for you to get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

"Do you live here now?" Caroline asked, settling back into her bed.

Ryan froze again, unsure of what to say. He had been staying over every night for almost two weeks but he and Lydia hadn't discussed if it was a permanent thing. "I do for now, until Momma gets better. Good night, Caroline." Ryan stood up, shuffling out of her room.

"Is everything okay?" Lydia startled Ryan, leaning against her door frame.

Ryan pulled his hand through his hair. "Caroline just asked me what a paternity test was, she overhead Elle yell that I needed one."

Lydia winced. "What'd you tell Caroline?"

Ryan took a few steps towards Lydia, his hands resting on her hips. "That we didn't need one because I've never doubted that she is my daughter."

"So what happened with Elle?" Lydia pulled back a little so she could get a better read on Ryan.

The lump in his throat made it nearly impossible to talk so instead, he rested his forehead on Lydia's for a moment before dipping down for a kiss.

He knew that he should be talking to Lydia but right now, he needed her. Lydia pulled away for a moment, her brow furrowed as she studied him for a moment before her lips crashed into his again -- a silent understanding that she knew what he needed from her.

She pulled him into the bedroom, Ryan swung the door shut behind them. Clothes were quickly discarded, the kisses growing frenzied. Ryan lowered Lydia onto the bed, hovering over her -- his skin on hers.