twenty-eight

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"I'm ready to go to the zoo!" Caroline announced as she bounded down to the bottom of the stairs. Her zebra print shirt clashed with her cheetah print skirt but nobody dared to point that out.

Ryan couldn't help but grin at the beaming girl, she had been begging to go to the zoo all week so this morning, Ryan finally told her they were going. He was excited -- ready for a chance to witness Caroline's childlike wonder.

A knock on the door halted his thoughts. His heart pounded -- had Stacy shown up to make a scene?

He hadn't heard from her in the days after he went to the police and he had yet to hear from a detective either.  That made him nervous -- was she going to get away with stealing the Foundation's money? Ryan hoped at the very least the courts made her return the money so he could do something good with it.

But Lydia reassured him that sometimes the wheels of justice turned slowly, too slowly sometimes but it didn't mean that they weren't turning at all. He knew she was right but Ryan was desperate to put Stacy completely in his past -- to sever the last tie they had between the two of them.

Flashing Lydia a shaky smile, he approached the door -- pressing his eye to the small hole that let him see outside.

"Are you going to let me in or what?" Chase's slow drawl seeped through the door.

Ryan swung the door open with relief -- although he was a little confused. "What's going on?"

Chase shrugged. "I hadn't heard from you in a while and..." His voice trailed off for a moment. "You weren't answering any calls or text and I got a little worried."

A wave of guilt had washed over Ryan — he had always meant to get back to Chase but he was so drained from putting on a brave face for Caroline all day that he never had any energy left to make that call or send that text.

Ryan stepped out onto the front stoop, closing the door. "Lydia had a miscarriage. I know I should have called but —"

Chase stepped forward, enveloping his friend into a hug. The gesture caught Ryan off guard for a moment but after a moment, he found himself hugging back -- thankful that his friendship with Chase had endured all.

He knew this friendship should have been a casualty of his relationship with Stacy like so many other friendships had been. Ryan wasn't entirely sure what had prompted Chase to be so forgiving, so open to welcoming Ryan back into his life and caring for him without any hesitation but he was so thankful.

Having Chase back in his life made his life feel complete. He didn't know how to tell Chase that but he knew someday he would figure out how to.

"Are you okay? Is Lydia okay? Should I go? Man, I'm sorry for just stopping by..." Chase frowned, glancing at his truck like he was trying to decide if he should leave or not.

"No, it's okay. We're getting there." Ryan shoved his hands in his pocket. "We bought a house."

Chase grinned. "Does that mean you're getting married?"

Ryan froze. He and Lydia hadn't even really talked about getting married. He wanted to ask her but he was worried that she would say no and that would ruin the happiness that was starting to blossom in the midst of all their heartache.

He shrugged, trying to keep his voice nonchalant. Now that the thought was in his mind, he wasn't sure he'd be able to get it out -- instead, he would let it fester until it consumed him.

Chase flashed a reassuring smile. "Either way, I'm happy for you guys."

Before Ryan could say anything else, the door was thrown open.

"Uncle Chase?!" Caroline screeched, launching herself into Chase's arms. "Are you here to go to the zoo with us?"

Chase's eyes widened, shooting Ryan a questioning glance.

Ryan just smirked, stifling a laugh at how Chase was about to get much more than he bargained for when he decided to pay them a visit.

"Of course." Chase quickly recovered, twirling Caroline around before setting her back down on the ground. "Let's go to the zoo."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Does she ever slow down?" Chase plopped down onto the picnic table bench across from Lydia and Ryan.

"Not really, no." Lydia threw her head back and laughed.

"It's like you birthed the Energizer Bunny." Chase groaned in exasperation -- eyeing Caroline as she climbed the playground equipment.

"That's what I told Ryan." Lydia laughed harder until they fell into a comfortable silence.

"Do you have Instagram?" Chase asked after a moment. "I want to add you to my close friend's story list."

Fully expecting Lydia to say no, Ryan's eyes widened when she rattled off an Instagram handle.

"You have an Instagram?" His mind flashed back to the months that he'd search Instagram for her.

She nodded, the confusion sparkling in his eyes. "Why wouldn't I?"

Ryan shrugged, he didn't really have an answer for that. "After we first met, I tried to find you on Instagram. I probably looked through thousands of profiles." Heat rushed to his face, he probably sounded so pathetic to Lydia and Chase.

"I only used my initials for a long time," Lydia explained, flashing a reassuring smile. "There was no way you could have found me."

"Can we go see more animals now?" Caroline stopped at the end of the picnic table.

"You heard her." Chase was the first one to stand up despite the exasperation he had a few moments ago. "Let's see more animals."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"It was a good day," Lydia announced as she closed Caroline's door behind her.

Ryan nodded, pulling Lydia into a hug once she was close enough to him. Ryan couldn't remember a day where he had so much fun -- it was easy to get lost in enjoying Caroline's wonder and forget everything else going on around him.

"I was surprised to see Chase," Lydia commented after a moment. "But I'm glad he showed up."

"Me too." Ryan agreed. "I hadn't been doing a very good job of returning his calls so I guess he felt like he needed to come up here and check on me."

"That's what friends do." Lydia pulled from the embrace, opening the door to their bedroom. "I forgot my phone today and honestly, I didn't miss it."

Ryan watched as Lydia turned her phone screen on, her features contorting a little as she read the screen. His stomach churned a little before asking, "Is everything okay?"

Lydia nodded slowly. "I think your fans found my Instagram."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
hi pals!! i'm starting a newsletter if you'd like to keep up with me!! The link is on my message board (I can't find a good way to post it here 😅)

as always, thanks for reading!