twenty-three

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Ryan's phone beeped, moving all three of them out of the trance that the Disney movie Caroline had selected, had put them into. In the week since the miscarriage, they had spent a lot of time lounging in bed with Caroline, soaking up time with her and each other.

Ryan rolled over, grabbing his phone.  His stomach dropped a little at the text message on his screen.

Ryan, this is Carrie from Lake Norman Realty -- I have found four houses for you to look at today. Looking forward to meeting you and your family at noon!

"Who is that?" Lydia peeked over his shoulder, reading the text message.

"I'm sorry," Ryan whispered. "I totally forgot to cancel our appointment with the realtor."

Lydia squeezed Ryan's shoulder. "That's okay. I think we should go."

"Really?" Ryan leaned back to get a read on Lydia's face. She had been working from home, not showing much interest in leaving her bed, much less the house.

They had gone to therapy -- both separately and together. Talking about their grief helped, especially when they didn't have to worry about Caroline overhearing them.

Lydia nodded. "I think it's time to find our home."

Ryan's heart pounded a little. Buying a home together, that was permanent. Not that Ryan really thought Lydia would leave again but if they had a house together? That was an added layer of security that Ryan hadn't even realized that he needed until now.

"Are we going to watch the movie or what?" Caroline's impatience made Ryan chuckle a little.

"Or what." Lydia beat Ryan to the punch. "Get dressed, okay? We're going out."

Caroline crawled out of the covers, dashing towards her room.

"I guess that means we should get up too." Lydia pressed a kiss onto Ryan's lips. He gripped her hips, wishing that Caroline wouldn't be bounding back into their room any minute.

Twenty minutes later, they were in the car, headed to the first address the realtor had sent.

"Where are we going?" Caroline peered out of the window at the passing scenery. 

Ryan and Lydia exchanged a glance -- they hadn't really talked about what they would tell Caroline. Ryan cocked an eyebrow to let Lydia know that this was her question to answer.

"Well..." Lydia started. "We are going to find our forever home for us as a family."

"Does that mean Daddy is living with us full time?" Ryan glanced in the rearview mirror to see the grin on his daughter's face.

"It does," Ryan answered, grinning back. He couldn't help himself, her happiness was contagious. He still was mourning the loss of their baby but the love and happiness that Caroline radiated dulled the pain just enough for Ryan to make it through the day.

Caroline let out a happy squeal as they pulled up to the first house. Ryan killed the engine, climbing out of the Bronco.