seven

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Momma!" Caroline squealed as she appeared in the doorway.

"Hi baby," Lydia mustered a smile, her eyes focused on her daughter and not the man behind her.

"You're okay?" Caroline peered over the bed rail, her eyes focused on the IV that was in Lydia's arm.

"I am. I had to have my appendix taken out but I'll be home tomorrow and good as new." She smoothed Caroline's hair in an attempt to reassure her.

Her eyes drifted behind her to see Ryan. Behind him -- much to Lydia's surprise -- was Chase.

Lydia could tell Ryan had been running his hands through his hair, his eyes were tired. But before Lydia could feel guilty, a pit formed in Lydia's stomach as her mind flashed back to earlier -- Ryan red-faced with anger, telling Lydia exactly what he thought about her.

Before everything had happened, they were speeding towards a serious relationship. Ryan had done a 180 and it terrified Lydia.

She needed to protect herself -- he was no Kyle, Lydia knew this. He wouldn't lay a hand on either her or Caroline. But if he could say things so sharp they cut like broken glass -- Lydia couldn't take a chance.

She had to protect herself, she had to let go of the idea of a happy family where she and Ryan end up married. Ryan was just Caroline's father. He just had to be.

Maybe they could figure things out. But right now, she was so wounded from everything, everything was so open and raw that she knew she needed distance, to sort herself out before she could try and repair everything that had been destroyed between them.

If that was even possible.

"Hey Caroline, I saw a vending machine. Why don't we go get a snack?" Chase's slow drawl cut through the awkward silence. 

"Can I?" Caroline batted her eyelashes at her mother.

Lydia swallowed hard, she really wanted to say no. She knew where this was heading, she knew she was going to have to talk to Ryan. But Caroline looked so excited that she couldn't make herself say no. "You can." Her eyes shifted to Chase. "I'll give you the money back when I have my wallet."

Chase waved her off as Caroline skipped to him. "Don't worry about it." He reached down, ruffling Caroline's hair as they shuffled out of the room.

Lydia couldn't help but notice how interesting the fluorescent light above was so she trained her eyes on it, hoping to avoid having to talk to Ryan.

"We're having a baby." Lydia was surprised by the wonder in Ryan's voice.

"I told you that on Saturday," She muttered, unable to control her anger and still avoiding Ryan's gaze. Part of her was relieved that Ryan believed her now but it stung that he didn't believe her when she told him.

"I'm sorry." Ryan reached over, grabbing her hand. Lydia winced a little at the contact but didn't move away. "Lydia, I'm so sorry for everything."

Lydia nodded weakly but she didn't say anything. An apology wasn't going to mend the brokenness that she felt but she had no idea how to tell Ryan that.

"Are you going to even look at me?" Ryan whispered. There was no anger in his voice, just sadness.

Lydia shifted her eyes towards Ryan -- his aquamarine eyes filled with tears. She didn't know what to say, but her thoughts wandered to Caroline -- she couldn't stay at the hospital with her. "Will you take Caroline home and stay with her overnight?" Caroline was the priority now, she had to be.

Ryan dropped her hand, leaning away from her -- message received. "Yeah, of course. I can come back tomorrow and pick you up too. Just call me when you're about to be discharged."

Lydia waved him off. "You couldn't be bothered to answer me when I called for help earlier, I'll find my own way home." She winced at how that came out. Lydia hadn't even realized how angry she was at Ryan for not answering when she needed him -- and more importantly, when Caroline needed him -- but she was.

"Lydia." The exasperation was evident in his voice. "I'm sorry." This apology sounded a little more forced.

Lydia shrugged, her eyes returning to the fluorescent light on the ceiling. She hoped that Ryan would take the hint and end the conversation but much to her dismay, he didn't.

Ryan shifted in the seat next to her. "Can we talk about what happened today?"

"Momma, look!" Caroline burst into the room, holding a package of cookies. "I'm having cookies after dinner."

Lydia chuckled a little, noting the slightly frazzled expression on Chase's face as she leaned against the door frame. "Yes, you are. Did you remember to thank Chase?"

"Thank you." Caroline beamed up at Chase whose eyes were trained on Ryan, almost like they were communicating with their eyes.

"Caroline, why don't we take a walk while we eat our cookies?" Chase suggested, making it completely obvious what he was trying to do.

Lydia understood that he was just trying to help his friend but she wasn't ready to talk about today. She just wanted to ask her nurse for the sleeping pill that she was promised and go to sleep and forget today.

"Actually, I think it's about time for Caroline to get home and go to bed." Lydia cut in before Chase and Caroline could make their great escape. "Caroline, Daddy is going to stay with you tonight, okay?"

Caroline's eyes lit up. "Really? Can Chase stay too?"

"That's up to Chase and your dad." Lydia chuckled. Chase had quickly become one of Caroline's chosen people. Lydia wasn't exactly sure what had happened between them to halt their friendship -- she was sure that it had something to do with Stacy -- but she was glad that Ryan and Chase had reconnected. And she was thankful for the smile Chase had on his face when he'd glance down at Caroline.

An awkward silence filled the room, almost like a stand-off before Lydia forced a smile. "Give me a hug before you go." She outstretched her arms, squeezing Caroline once she dove into her arms. "I'll see you in the morning, okay? Be good."

"Okay, Mommy." Caroline grinned, her eyes turning towards Ryan.

Ryan stood up slowly. "I'll see you tomorrow morning, Lydia." His voice was flat, his face was unreadable.

Lydia didn't say anything, she didn't want to argue. She could survive a car ride with Ryan. As she watched them leave, she pressed the call button for the nurse.

Lydia desperately needed to go to sleep and not think for a little while.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃