Chapter Thirty-Nine

Hope POV-
I close my eyes trying not to move since every movement hurts. Lizzie sits down next to me and slowly strokes my head like Josie does. Used to anyway. I see Alaric come running out with my backpack in hand.  He slows down when he gets closer and kneels next to me. "Hope, I need you to change back so we can get you to the infirmary. I know it's going to hurt but I have some clothes for you to put on. I'll turn around and Lizzie can help you okay?" I nod my head as best I can but let slip a slight whimper. I watch as Alaric hands the backpack to Lizzie. He walks a couple of steps away and turns around giving me privacy.
"Alright, Hope," Lizzie pulls out the zipper jacket and has it out and ready for me. She locks eyes with me. "It is going to be okay, just change back when you are ready." It takes me a second to prepare myself knowing that everything in my shoulder is about to be rearranged. I nod towards Lizzie and start to think about changing back.
Lizzie POV-
I'm holding Hope's jacket up ready for her to change back. I look up to see Dad rocking back and forth on his heels knowing he is about to hear Hope probably cry out in pain. Hope nods at me then all of a sudden she is changing back. The outburst starts as a damaged howl and turns into a full blown human scream. I have never heard Hope cry out like that.
Hope finishes the transformation and I help her slip her good arm into the jacket. We lay the other side on her damaged shoulder carefully zipping it shut which should prevent her from moving it too much. We get her pants on before telling Dad he can turn around. He helps me put some shoes on her before we carefully lift her off the ground.
I help support Hope in walking back to the school with Dad leading the way. We make it back shortly but I'm sure it felt like it took forever for Hope. Finally, we walk into the infirmary, and I help Hope lay down on one of the beds.
Hope POV-
Lizzie helps me get back to the infirmary and onto the bed. "Hope, we need to take the jacket off so I can get an x-ray, I want to see how bad it is." Dad turns to look at me. "Will you help her again, Lizzie?" I move to the other side of the bed so I can help her rotate to get the jacket off. Dad leaves the room to give me privacy again.
"Okay, I'm going to unzip then we can lift you up to pull it out from under you." Lizzie is being so helpful. I wonder if she feels bad for me. I don't think she would normally help me this much. Lizzie unzips the jacket and gets ready to help me sit up to pull it out. "Three, two, one."
I can't help but let out another screech filled with pain as I force my body to sit up allowing Lizzie to remove the jacket. I lay back down against the bed as Lizzie lays a cover over top of me. "Alright, Dad!" Alaric comes back in to arrange the X-ray machine to focus on my shoulder. We ended up buying an x ray machine for the school a couple of years ago to help diagnose breaks since they happen so easily with everyone's supernatural strength. Alaric and Lizzie leave the room to let the X-ray capture a picture.
They come back in after a couple of minutes. The looks on their face confirm the amount of pain I am in. "Hope, you broke your collarbone in two different places. So, I'm going to put you in a sling to try and prevent you from moving your shoulder too much but it's going to take a little bit for your body to repair the broken bone." I nod my head before laying it back down on the bed. "Can I get something for this pain, Dr. Saltzman?" He nods his head and leaves the room to grab some pain meds.
Lizzie walks over to my bed and sits down next to me in a chair. We sit in silence until Alaric comes back with the pills. "Thanks." He gives me instructions on when to take them then leaves. "Hope, I'm sorry about everything with Josie." I turn my head to look at her. She sees the pain shoot across my face as I do. "Why are you apologizing? Josie is the one who left me, not you." I return my head back to my pillow. We sit in silence again. "Do you want any food? I can grab you some." Lizzie stands up. "Sure I'll take anything haven't eaten since last night." She gives me a thumbs up before leaving my room.
Josie POV-
I hear Hope scream from the room next to me. Every time she moves I keep feeling it but I have enough pain meds in my system to make it manageable. Dad walks into my room to check on me. "Hey Jo, how are you doing?" I honestly am feeling pretty good on these pain meds. "Good Dad." He pulls up a chair next to my bed. "So, do you want to tell me what happened with Hope?"
I end up recounting everything I told Lizzie yesterday morning. He did a good job of just listening to me and nodding when necessary. "Honey, she loves you and you are leaving her thinking that it would be best for her but you both are hurting." I have tears running down my face. "It is completely up to you, but I think you both need to talk to each other. Even if it is to just give closure to each other. Plus, you can go check on her, she broke her collarbone in two separate places." I nod my head and wipe my eyes with my non injured arm. "I'll come check on you tomorrow morning okay? You probably can go back to your room tomorrow but I will feel better if I know where you are tonight." Dad gets up and walks out the door.