Chapter Fifty-One

Hope POV-
I subconsciously start rubbing my left hand along our sheets. I can feel every single stitch. I open my eyes and see Josie still fast asleep. Her mouth slightly hanging open. Our hands are still interlocked between us.
I carefully remove my hand from her grasp and push a pillow towards her. Josie feeling the pillow, turns to her side and wraps her arms around it immediately. I slip out of bed and make my way downstairs.
I pull my phone out of my pocket and sit down on the couch. I open up Caroline's contact and hit call. I hear her pick up. "Hey Caroline, can you meet up?" "How about I come there, I can be there in 20. I'll bring more blood bags." "Thanks Caroline." She hangs up.
I turn on the TV and put on the news setting the volume to super low but it still feels like the news anchors are screaming. I grab the remote from next to me and press the power button too hard. The remote crumbles in my hand, broken, but the TV is now off. I hear a knock at the front door.
"Here," Caroline hands me a blood bag. I take it quickly screwing the cap off and placing it in my mouth. I finish the bag, a huge sigh escaping my lips. "This urge will decrease in the next couple of days, Hope. How did last night go with Josie?" Caroline looks upstairs. I assume she can hear Josie's heartbeat just like me. "Wait, who else is upstairs?" She takes a step forward closer to the stairs. "Two others?" Caroline turns to me waiting for the confirmation. Her face breaks into a smile. "Josie is pregnant with twins. We found out a couple of days ago when I wolfed out and could hear them." Caroline turns to me pulling me into a huge hug. "Congrats, Hope." I can hear the excitement in her voice.
I hear the change in Josie's heart rate. The door clicks open. "Mom? What are you doing here?" Josie walks down the stairs giving Caroline a hug. "I came to bring some more blood bags and check in on you both. Anything you would like to tell me?" Josie turns to me, a confused look on her face. "She can hear their heartbeats, too." I let out a small laugh at Josie's expression. Her jaw drops as she starts to stutter. "We, we wanted to tell you, but we, wanted to wait until we got an ultrasound, and," Josie stops talking. Caroline places her hand on Josie's shoulder. "Honey, I'm just messing with you. I'm so happy for both of you. I couldn't hear their individual heartbeats the other times because there were too many people around."
Josie POV-
Mom knows I am pregnant now. She lifts her hand off of my shoulder. "May I?" She moves her hand to in front of my stomach. I lift my shirt allowing her to place her hand. I look up at her waiting for her facial expression. She looks over to Hope. "Did you feel this?" Hope nods her head. "Yeah, fell asleep last night feeling them breath and move around." She hadn't told me she could feel them moving. Mom removes her hand from my stomach and steps back. "Can I get some coffee? Then we can talk." Hope turns around and we all three head to the kitchen.
I pour all of us a cup of coffee, pulling out the coffee creamer for Hope and the sugar for Mom. I stand against the kitchen counter bent over my coffee as Hope and Mom sit in the barstools across from me. "So, how is it going?" Mom turns to look at Hope then me. I look back at Hope. "I was telling Josie last night, I just feel sensitive to every noise. The hypersensitivity is a lot. Plus the burning in my throat is ever present. Josie can feel it too." Mom nods her head running her fingers along the side of her cup. "Tell me what you are afraid of doing." I can see the fear in Hope's eyes, she was hoping Mom wouldn't ask that. I turn to Mom. "She can hear the blood running through my veins and the babies, tell me if I am wrong babe, but I think you're afraid of hurting us." Hope's head drops to look at the counter. I reach my hand up, Hope takes it slowly interlocking our fingers but keeps her head down. "Well, I have an idea for us to answer some of our questions."
Hope POV-
Josie and I pile into Caroline's car. We sit in the backseat while Caroline drives. She didn't say much about what she wanted to try. Josie sits in the middle seat next to me. I reach my hand over placing it over her shirt onto her stomach. "What do you feel?" Josie asks in my head. "Mostly them moving around slightly. I am pretty sure they are snuggled up together based on their movements and where I can feel their hearts beating." I can't help but smile. I reach my hand down placing it on top of Hope's. We both look up and see Caroline smiling at us in the rear view mirror. We pull into the school's parking lot.
"Okay, Hope can you go get Alaric and Lizzie?" Caroline looks at me. I really don't want to leave Josie but I tuck my head and start walking into the school. I knock on Alaric's office door first. "Hey Dr. Saltzman, Caroline wants to do some blood training or something with Josie and me, can you help?" He stands up from his desk. "Yeah," he follows me out of his office. We run into Lizzie when leaving, "Hey, your mom wants help doing something with Josie and me, can you come?" Lizzie looks to Dad who shrugs his shoulders. "Sure, be right out."
Alaric and I walk back outside to see Caroline and Josie standing in the open field. We get about 20 feet away. I smell it before I see it. Josie's blood I'm pretty sure. I look to her and see beads of blood dripping down her arm. It is sliced.
The burning in my throat intensifies. I can feel my eyes changing. I take a couple more steps forward. I can hear Caroline's voice trying to cut through my concentration before I close the distance.