2. Drowning

Peter set his head in his hand and placed his elbow on the tabletop. He sighed and looked at each person when they spoke. Tony was on his left, on the edge of his seat while arguing with Steve about something Peter was too bored to listen to, and Nat sat comfortably on his left, one leg up on the chair and a finger fiddling with a short strand of blond hair.

Peter sunk in his chair, watching as Clint butt in to say something and get cut off by Tony, who was now standing up and pointing a finger at Steve, who sat opposite Peter. 

"What are you even arguing about?" Sam asked loud enough to cover both Tony and Steve's voices. Tony sighed and sat back down, his chair slightly sliding back.

"You know what? It's nothing," he finally replied, refusing to make eye contact with Steve.

"Well then instead of arguing over nothing, let's talk about the actual problem here, you know, the loose Hydra Agents spreading terror!" Sam snapped. 

Peter pulled his legs up to his chest when he heard something. He turned his head to where the voices were coming from. He strained his hearing and could sense people under them, in the control room of the helicarrier. He could barely make out two voices fighting, one man and one woman.

"We have to evacuate!"

"Well, where the hell are we going to go?! We're in the middle of the goddamn ocean!"

"Anywhere from here! It's dangerous!"

"I fucking know that but there are too many people to fit in the boats!"

Evacuate? Why would they have to evacuate? And what was so dangerous about the helicarrier?

He was pulled out of his thoughts by Tony's worried voice.

"Peter?"

He snapped his head around and saw the whole team staring at him in confusion.

"What is it?" Nat asked, her position more alert.

"I just heard something," he mumbled, still confused about the situation. "Someone was saying we-"

Before he could finish, an extremely loud explosion-like sound sounded in the small meeting room. Everyone immediately stood up, looking around, startled. Peter grasped at his head as a wave of pain flushed through his brain. He had trouble concentrating, trying to tell himself to stand up straight but only being able to think about the sudden pain and anxiety. He fell to his knees as the floor shook beneath them.

"Kid, you ok?" Tony's voice appeared next to him, steady hands helping him stand up. "You're having a sensory overload."

"Yeah, yeah, that makes sense," he breathed out, trying to steady himself on his feet. The floor shook again, making the Avengers send each other worried looks.

"We gotta get out of here," Steve said, walking surprisingly fast towards the door. The entire helicarrier had started shaking now, and the engines making scary-sounding noises. 

They all stumbled out and that was when hell broke loose.

People started screaming and running around, most of them falling due to the violent and constant shaking of the ground. The speakers turned on with a muffled click, and a panicked voice spoke.

"Everyone please remain calm, we are having some turbulence, and chaos would not help."

"I'm pretty sure this isn't turbulence," Peter pointed out as he stared out the window, the view making his stomach drop to his feet.

The entire helicarrier had stopped midair and started to descend slowly, picking up speed as it neared the water. People flew back and hit the walls behind them as the whole thing sped downwards. Peter tried grabbing as many people as he could before they slammed against the walls as the rest of the team tried to help and calm others.