4. Adopted

It had been a long Sunday filled with cuddles, old movies, and laughter. Peter rested his head on the armrest of the couch with Morgan sleeping peacefully on his chest, and Tony in the kitchen, preparing dinner. The Lion King played on the wide tv for the third time in the week.

"Dinner is served," Tony said elegantly, setting three plates on the table with different amounts of fries next to a cheeseburger. Peter got the fullest plate, of course, because of his metabolism, and because Morgan would always eat hers really fast and steal from his plate.

They started eating as the movie ended and Bolt started playing. Peter finished his plate rather quickly, sliding his leftover fries onto Morgan's plate, making her jump and squeal in joy. Peter melted back into the couch and sighed softly when his phone buzzed. He quickly picked it up, and froze when he read it.

DISTRESS CALL FROM MJ

He stared at it in shock and quickly got to his feet. With confused looks by Morgan and Tony, he told them he had to go.

"Where off to?" Tony asked, his confusion turning into concern. Peter pointed to the door and started walking backwards to it.

"Uh, I don't know yet, I'll be back soon, I promise." And with that he was off, hopping onto the roof to put his suit on, and swinging towards the city.

* * *

 Orange flames danced around the building, thick, dark smoke erupting from the flames. Screams of panic and fear were heard from miles away. 

Peter landed on the grass perfectly next to a man. He was in a blue vest and had a puppy in his arms. Peter couldn't quite remember what the building was, because it clearly wasn't a house or a set of apartments. Everything fit into place when MJ ran up to him, two kittens in her grasp.

This was the rescue center.

"There you are! What took you so long? Well, that doesn't matter anymore, there are still at least five animals in there," she said quickly once she made it to them. She was wearing the same blue vest and her face was covered in ash. Peter had forgotten that she was volunteering there.

"I'll get them," he promised her before running right into the flames.

The inside was unrecognizable, just like the outside. Peter had been inside once before, when MJ had started volunteering there and wanted him and Ned to meet the animals. Her face would light up whenever she bottle fed a tiny kitten or held a sleeping puppy. 

He strained his hearing and quickly identified two or more tiny squeals of panic coming from kittens. He ran towards them, easily leaping over fallen furniture or groups of fire along the floor. He reached the crate and saw three kittens, two white and one black with white paws. He opened the crate and gently grabbed them, shielding them from the smoke and the heat. 

He reached the door and handed them to an employee, finally gasping for breath after holding it the whole time he was inside.

"There is a puppy upstairs, and probably the only one there," a lady told him, her face tear-stained and sweaty. Peter nodded and ran inside.

He hopped up the stairs and immediately found the chubby, brown puppy. He grabbed it with one hand and looked for anymore on the floor. Nothing.

When he handed in the puppy, the coughing started, and Friday must've told Tony about Peter unstable breathing because the man suddenly appeared through the coms.

"Hey, kid, how you holding up?" 

Peter coughed in reply, stumbling to the next animals in need. An elastic band wrapped around his lungs, preventing him to fully breathe. He grasped at his chest and placed his free hand on the wall to steady himself.

He made it to the next cage, a panicked bunny hopping around in it.

"Hey, hey, buddy, you're ok," he murmured as he slowly pet the bunny to calm it down. It pushed its head against Peter's touch and settled down in the middle of the metal cage. Peter slowly picked it up with both hands and slowly walked outside, not wanting to stumble or fall.

He gave it to another employee and found his way back inside, even when he was told that there were no more inside.

The pain in his lungs grew as he accidentally took in a deep breath of smoke, which started an even more painful coughing fit. He tripped over his own feet and landed face first onto the wooden floor.

Suddenly, he felt something big and heavy fall over him and land on his back. A whimper escaped his lips as he felt the elastic band tighten and flames start to eat up at the piece of wood. Tears streamed down his face as he stared helplessly at the wood catching fire on his back. He rested his forehead on the floor and tried to get it off by doing an awkward push-up, but the pain was the only thing he could think about until, that is, he heard another squeal of fear.

Shit.

There's another cat.

He tried squeezing his way free but failed. His back was being squished against the floor, making it even harder to breathe. Fire licked at his sides, making him squirm around let out a cry of pain.

"Kid," Tony's voice said, making Peter sigh in relief.

"M-Mr. Stark," He wheezed, his hands grasping at anything to break free.

"Peter, listen to me. I'm gonna need you to control your breathing, ok? You're having  a panic attack."

Peter followed Tony's slow, exaggerated breaths and followed his orders as he focused on lifting the wood, not on the pain.

"You got this, Pete." His encouraging words helped Peter slowly lift the wood off his back and throw it behind him.

He stumbled to the sound and found himself staring at the most precious kitten he'd ever seen. It was a scrawny little white cat with light grey splotches, probably the runt of its litter. It was curled up into a ball in the corner of the cage. He opened it and the little cat quickly lifted his head as a single green eye stared back at him in fear. Its other eye was sealed shut, stitches holding its eyelids together. Peter slowly grabbed it, ignoring its adorable struggle to fight his hand, and walked out.

The small kitten had quickly fallen asleep in his arms, probably exhausted after crying all night. Peter stared down at the figure and sat outside on the grass, his thumb slowly caressing it's tiny head. A paramedic came to him and wrapped a blanket over him, set a cup of water next to him and walked away.

He stuck a finger in the water and started cleaning off the soot and ash that stained its white pelt. The fur revealed to be shiny and bright, standing out against his red suit.

A hand landed on his shoulder, making him turn his head. He saw MJ, Tony and Morgan, all smiling down at him. Morgan quickly noticed the kitten and rushed to Peter's side, slowly and gently petting it. MJ sat on his other side and looked down at the kit as she explained.

"That would be Oliver, he's been here for a while, no one wants him because of his eye and his heart problems... He's a strong little guy, though."

Tony took MJ's spot as she excused herself and walked away. Peter looked up at the Avenger with his best puppy dog eyes.

"We are not getting a cat."

Morgan looked up at him, too, doing the same as Peter. Tony rolled his eyes and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Fine, but I will not clean a single poop on the floor, do you understand?"