11. Losing Battle

A/N: I'M BACK Y'ALL YAY THANK YOU SM FOR 400+ READS ILY ALL

*
*
*

  "What's your favorite color?" Peter asked, his voice high-pitched with excitement. He and the rest of the Avengers were going to some Hydra warehouse and take them down. Because there was so much security around the building, they decided to split into groups of two and surround it.

There were four groups; Steve and Tony were one, Sam and Rhodey were another, Clint and Wanda were also together, and lastly, Peter and Nat.

Of course, Peter was ecstatic about being paired up with one of his favorite Avengers. He had promised himself on the ride to the forest where the base was that he would not let himself talk to her as he always did, he didn't want to distract her. But the second they were alone and on their way, Peter started rambling.

She didn't reply to his question, she just kept on walking, her head held high in the confidence that inspired young Peter. Her aura glowed with fearlessness and determination. Peter stared up at her in awe.

"Red," she replied simply, her eyes looking around them every once in a while to make sure they weren't being followed. Peter smiled to himself.

At least she heard me, he thought gleefully.

They kept on walking in silence for a few more minutes, Peter's urge to ask more questions overtaking him.

"I know you were, like, trained to be an assassin and everything but have you ever thought about, I don't know, starting a family or something?" He asked quickly, immediately regretting it as her face slightly dropped. He sighed but kept on looking forward.

"I can't have kids." Her voice was blunt, almost sad. Peter mentally slapped himself for getting so personal with her. By the way she sounded, she clearly wanted a family.

"Oh," he whispered. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, kid, let's just focus on the mission, alright?" She sounded as if she wanted to move on from the subject, so Peter didn't push any further.

Peter hesitated before deciding to change the subject.

"What's your favorite animal?"

Nat sighed and Peter could swear he could've seen her smile slightly.

"I don't know, I'm not much of an animal person."

"Well, you gotta have at least one animal that interests you, right?" Peter asked, more confidently as her face got rid of all sadness and seriousness and returned to her confidence. She thought about it for a moment, slightly squinting her eyes.

"Cats," she stated. Peter raised his eyebrows at her.

"That makes sense, I mean, they're elegant and mysterious and cool, just like you!" He smiled. She sent him a tiny smile, but it was better than nothing.

He had made one of his idols smile.

Suddenly she stopped. The dirt they had been walking on flew up at her sudden halt. Peter turned around to face her. She looked around, her face going back into seriousness.

"I can hear them," she whispered. Peter focused and heard it too; voices. Nat could only hear that but Peter, with his super senses, heard the clicking of guns as well. He grabbed Nat's wrist and pulled her to the side behind some bushes and a thick tree. She sent him a confused stare but he simply placed a finger over his lips.

Several men walked out into the open, guns in hand. 

"I swear I heard something, man," one of them said. Another smacked him on the back of the head.

"There's nobody here, dumbass," he growled, his voice thick with a Brooklyn accent. The other man flipped him off and turned to walk away.

Before Peter could stop her, Nat had jumped out and leaped onto one of the men, taking his gun and taking him out with one swift punch to the head. Peter sighed and jumped in to help her. They quickly took all of them down without making too much noise. Peter stuck all of them to the tree with some webs and they kept walking towards the base.

Almost immediately after, they started hearing repulsors and gunshots and explosions. Peter and Nat shared a glance before running towards the sounds.

They made it to the Hydra base and all hell was breaking loose. They ran into the fight without hesitation.

Peter ran to a man and unarmed him before shooting some web to his chest and swinging him around. His spidey-senses spiked but he couldn't react before something hard hit the back of his head. His vision went black for a few moments, and all sounds seemed distant. The man who had punched his tried to kick him in the stomach but Peter caught it and threw him down.

He stumbled his way through the men, each wave of them getting stronger -or maybe he was just getting weaker. His chest heaved for a decent breath and his head throbbed in pain. Often the dizziness would overtake him and he would stumble down, only giving the men an advantage.

He was on all fours as a strong foot pushed him onto his side. He let himself collapse, regretting it when multiple other men joined in to beat him. He desperately covered his neck with his hands and hid his face into his arms. He curled up, hoping to give them less space to kick, but they found another place; his back.

One swift kick to the center of his back sent shooting pain through his entire spine, and his legs went numb for a second. Their hard boots kicked all over his back, each one leaving him more dazed than the last. He panicked when his legs lost feeling for longer than he expected. A sob ripped through his chest and it felt as if a lion was in his body, clawing and tearing every bone and muscle to try and free itself.

The men got bored after a while and started leaving until there was only one left. He picked Peter up and slammed him against a cement wall, his back screaming in excruciating pain. The man ripped his bloody mask off and pushed him further against the wall but his neck. He felt as his feet were lifted from the ground and his throat seal shut.

He tried to fist at the man's arm but his muscles begged for a rest and refused to work properly. He gasped for breath as panic was added to his pain. Black dots floated across his vision, and he could barely make out the man's face. He did make out when the man's head was hit with something and he fell to the floor, dropping Peter as well.

He slightly managed to the figure hovering over him; Nat.

She had a few cuts along her face and a busted lip but overall, she looked good.

"Hi," he breathed out. She smiled down at him and scanned his body with a slight frown.

"Hey, kiddo, let's go home, alright? You can ask all the questions you want, just, don't die."

"No promises."

*

A/N: my babies met :)

jk jk anyway, thank you @DemigodKeeper08 for the suggestion, feel free to leave them in the comments

-Lara