10. Venom

The black substance crawled up his arm as if it were alive. Peter tried to rip it off but it clung onto his suit and wouldn't come off. It slid up to his chest where it started to spread all over his body. He panicked as it covered his entire face, forming a new mask over his normal one. 

After a few minutes of struggling, he looked down and saw his normal suit but all black, and the spider emblem on his chest was larger and white. He felt... Powerful.

A grin spread across his face under the mask as he hopped off of the roof he was on and swung around, feeling glorious and unconcerned about anything happening around him.

"Pete, you ok?" Ned asked from his comms. Peter landed on a roof and crouched at the ledge.

"I'm fine," he muttered, slightly annoyed by Ned always wanting to be in charge of Peter.

"Ok, there's a robbery a few blocks from you, at-"

"Why should I care?" Peter snarled back, rolling his eyes. There was silence on the other line before he spoke.

"Because... You're Spider-Man, Peter... Isn't that what you do?" His voice was small, as if he didn't want to piss off this new version of Peter.

"No, that's what the police do, it's not my fault they're useless," Peter replied harshly before shutting off his comms.  

Peter swung off, enjoying the cold breeze as he zipped around the city.

"Peter, you have a call from Mr. Stark," Karen's voice said, ripping him out of his thoughts. Peter groaned and rested on a lamp-post.

"Fine, answer it."

"Hey, kid, just wondering how you're doing. Your friend Fred-or whatever his name is-called me and told me something was off, you alright?" Tony's voice brought him back for a second.

His pupils dilated at the sound of his voice. He blinked, looking down in confusion at his new suit.

"Mr. Stark?" He whispered before being sucked back down. "What the hell do you want, Tony?"

There was silence on the other end as if Tony was taken aback by his sudden mood-change.

"I want to know if you're ok," he finally replied, his voice low with confusion. Peter huffed, wanting to end the conversation and keep swinging around.

"I'm fine, now can you leave me alone?"

"No can do, kid, you're acting weird... Swing by the compound, will ya'?"

Peter rolled his eyes and tapped his foot impatiently on the pole of the lamp-post. He turned and saw the Avengers' Compound a little too far for his liking.

"Nah." He hung up and leaped off the pole and kept swinging.

It was a beautiful night, there were few clouds that allowed a large amount of moonlight to illuminate the city. Not many people were outside, all of them probably inside, curled in bed, hot chocolate in hand.

Peter stopped to rest at an abandoned mall and sat on the roof, looking over his city.

"Incoming voice message from Harley," Karen informed him. He cursed and doubtfully answered.

"Hey, Pete... Tony told me something was wrong and I wanted to see how you're doing... I tried calling but you won't pick up, so, if anything's wrong, you can talk to me... Love you."

The simple seven-second audio managed to fish him back up. He gasped, knowing he hadn't much time before he was back under, so, he frantically took out his phone and called Harley. Tears filled his eyes as he begged for a few more seconds before the thing took over again. He was scared he wouldn't come back, and New York would be stuck with bitchy Peter.