6. Blood

Peter stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him. He ignored Been and May's calls and kept on walking. He didn't know where he was going, but he had to get away for a while.

"Peter!" Ben's voice echoed behind him, his footsteps towards Peter sounding louder now that the street was empty of all other sounds. Peter walked faster, heading towards downtown.

By the time he made it there, he was practically running away from Ben's voice. He turned the corner into an alley and ran through it trying to get his uncle off his tail. He ignored the people trying to grab him and ran past them at full speed, silently thanking his newfound powers.

He crossed the street after getting through the alley and entered a small store.

He walked to the fridges at the back and grabbed a chocolate milk bottle. He walked to the cashier and rolled the small bottle on the table between him and the man.

"That would be $2.50," the man said bluntly.

Peter took out a ball of crumpled up bills from his pocket and started to look for three single dollars.

"Hurry up, kid, I ain't got all night," the man urged, his accent strong in his voice. Peter sighed and slammed the three dollars on the table, a bit harsher than he expected.

Before the man could give Peter his change, Peter grabbed the bottle and walked out, with a simple "keep the change".

Once he was out into the cold city, he immediately saw Ben turning the corner and walking into the alleyway Peter had gone through before. He tried to hide but Ben saw him and picked up the pace.

Peter looked at a sketchy man walking towards Ben and then back at his uncle, unable to move. His eyes looked at one and then another for what seemed like forever until the man reached Ben. 

He grabbed his arm and turned him around, talking to him loudly.

"Empty your wallets, old man!" He yelled. Ben looked over his shoulder and smiled calmly at Peter, whose feet were glued to the floor.

Ben raised his hands in defense, saying something but refusing to give the man anything.

Come on, Ben, just give him the wallet, Peter thought, not wanting to interfere in case the man had a gun.

And he did. 

The man quickly pulled out a gun and aimed it at Ben, making Peter gasp. Ben, still not wanting to let the man win, tried to push the gun away from him and grab it.

Peter stayed in his place as he watched them tussle over the gun. Peter finally decided to step in, even if he was in danger too, and started running across the street.

A gunshot.

Peter paused in the middle of the street, watching as the man quickly took Ben's wallet and ran, and Ben collapse.

Peter sped towards him and kneeled over him, watching endless amounts of dark, warm, blood gushing through his fingers that grasped at the open wound in his stomach.

"BEN!" Peter yelled at the top of his lungs, tears streaming down his face without a warning. Ben's gaze met Peter's and sent him a soft look.

"SOMEBODY HELP!" Peter raised his head, looking around the empty streets for somebody, anybody who could help.

"Ben, Ben, stay with me, stay with me, ok? I'm gonna get you help, stay with me," Peter pleaded, his shaking hands pressing down on Ben's bloody stomach. "I'm so sorry, I-I'm so sorry, Ben," he kept on sobbing, barely making out his uncle's face through the endless stream of tears.

The muscles of his chin were shaking like those of a child as he doubtfully pressed harder on the wound, not wanting his uncle to be in more pain.

Ben looked upward towards the sky, his soft, brown eyes glazed over with unshed tears.

"Come on, Ben, stay with me, stay with me, please, please," he cried, his voice shaky and breathy.

He took a sharp intake of breath and another sob tore through his chest as he watched the life drain from his uncle's eyes and as they stared up at the sky, unseeing and clouded.

He screamed, taking Ben's hand in his firmly.

Sirens were heard in the distance, probably called by neighbors having to hear Peter's screams.

"No, no, no, please," he choked out,  unable to scream for much longer. His throat ached and his lungs longed for a good breath without being interrupted by screams and sobs. He hunched over Ben's limp body, regretting everything.

He should have helped.

He shouldn't have even gotten in the fight in the first place.

A hand was placed on his shoulder, making Peter look up at a paramedic, with a sympathetic look on his round face. Peter looked back at his uncle, staring one last time into his eyes.

* * *

He would never forget the ride home in the back of the police cruiser. 

He would never forget May's devastated, heartbroken face when an officer told her the news.

He would never forget the quiet sobs coming from her room in the middle of the night.

He would never forget Ben.

Or what he would tell young Peter,

"With great power comes great responsibility."

*

A/N: sad boi hours :'(

aaanyway, sorry this is short, I've never written such a long death scene, they're usually quick and to the point, but i wasn't going to give you a 200-word-chapter

also, if you guys want, u can leave suggestions to more of these bc im running out lol

also also, I'm probably gonna make a Harley x Peter book soon but idk yet

anyway thx 4 reading, luv y'all