Who To Marry?

Dedicated to: Iemsimplyme

LORELEI

HAVE YOU ever imagined yourself wearing a long, white, sequined gown inside a holy place blessed by the God where a handsome yet cold man would be waiting at the end to wear you the ring that would bind the two of you forever? Think of the sweet song reverberating in that church as you slowly step your foot on the petals spread on the carpet. The guests would openly admire the beauty created by the God that matched perfectly the design of the wedding theme, so as their gowns and suits. And the weather would be seemingly fine like it knows when to rain and when to let the sun shine brightly in the sky to set the mood for the two people that would be married.

And imagine hearing the question of the priest, "Do you Lorelei Rios take this man Lucian Thoren Mendez to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and health, to love, honor and obey, in good times and woe, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself solely unto him for as long as you both shall live? If so, answer "I DO."

I shivered upon the thought that just crossed my mind. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ko ba naiisip 'yon. To think that I am looking forward for that is something unusual for me.

No, I am not getting married.

And if ever I will be wedded, it is with someone who is not named Luthor Mendez.

"Sis! Ayusin ang feslak! Mukha ka ng hagardo versoza!"

Hinayaan ko si Loki na mag-ayos sa 'kin. Loki sa umaga, Louise sa gabi. Siya na mismo ang kumuha ng press powder at colourtint na nasa bag ko. He says na hindi siya pwedeng maglagay ng pampaganda sa bag niya kaya sa akin na lang daw niya itatago.

What would happen if Loki's father find out about his son's identity crisis?

Just thinking about the head of Mendez's family, my mind slipped away to the thought of getting married with their first prince. I can feel the goosebumps whenever I meet his eyes. The coldness it gives is enough to make me shut my mouth kagaya na lamang ng nangyari noong isang araw kung kailan pinilit niya akong pumunta sa kanila.

"Nagkausap na ba kayo ni brotherhood ko? Napag-usapan niyo na ba kung kelan ang ka—"

Tumayo ako at pinagpag ang palda. "Walang mangyayaring kasal sa pagitan namin."

Iniwan ko siya sa club room at tumambay muna sa labas para magpahangin. My mind is wandering again. Paano kung hindi ko nga mapigilan ang kasal? What would happen to the two of us? We are both incompatible for each other. No matter how I look at it, hindi kami bagay. And even if we try to look at the possible marriage that might happen any month of this year, it won't be successful.

"Lori..."

I felt his hug from behind. Ang dalawa niyang kamay ay nakayakap sa bewang ko. Isinandal ko ang ulo ko sa kanyang balikat.

"Ayos ka lang ba, Al?"

"Oo naman, bakit hindi?"

I tried looking at his face. The ever manly and gentleman childhood friend of mine.

"Ikaw nga ang dapat kong tanungin. Are you okay, Lori?"