A New Face

Dedicated to: Adsumsea

LORELEI

I HAVE been wondering for days, thinking about Loki's actions. He doesn't seem absent-minded but I can tell that he has something in mind. Whenever I ask him what it is, he always tells me that it's nothing. That I should not mind him. I am really curious what's happening. Has Moriarty been bothering him again? Does Moriarty take actions we are not aware of and Loki decides to keep it himself? Or there's a problem that Loki doesn't want to share? Aside from being a member of QED Club, I am his dormmate. Maybe I get the right to know what happens to him.

The hallway is silent. I did not meet any student walking as I go towards our clubroom so it is only me. I head down to the room and stopped in front of the door. Inside, I hear giggles and laughs like they were having fun.

I tilted my head and decided to open the door. Three faces welcomed me but what caught my attention is the new face smiling at me. Pumunta ako sa nakagawian kong upuan at tiningnan ang bagong mukha.

"Who is she?" I asked, looking confused in front of Al and Jamie because Loki seemed to be enjoying the presence of the new girl in our room.

"She's Chelsea Uy, Lori," sagot ni Jamie. "New member ng club natin."

"She passed the requirements so I decided to recruit her."

Why did I hear a proud father speaking?

Tumayo ang sinabing Chelsea at lumapit sa 'kin para makipagkamay. "It's nice meeting you in person, Lori," she said, all smile.

Who gave her the permission to call me by my nickname?

I accepted her hand. "It's Lorelei for you, Chelsea."

She nodded. "You can call me Chi for short."

I smiled. "Okay, Chelsea."

"Chi na lang para mas maikli," aniya.

"I prefer Chelsea."

"Why not Chi? It's shorter than Chelsea. Para hindi ka na mahirapan."

"Ikaw ba ang magsasalita?"

Umiling siya.

"Hindi naman pala kaya dapat, hindi ka na mamroblema," nakangiti ko pang sagot.

Nangibabaw ang katahimikan sa kwarto pagkatapos kong sabihin iyon. Tiningnan ko si Jamie na nagtataka sa inasta ko. I can also feel my childhood friend's eyes staring at me, questioning my behavior. Hindi rin nakalagpas sa akin ang nararamdaman kong tingin mula kay Loki. I can imagine him back to his emotionless face again.

Chelsea was quick to remove the awkwardness that reigned the room a while ago.

"Loki!"

Nagtungo siya kay Loki at kumapit sa braso nito. May bago na palang papalit kay Jamie?

I eyed Jamie and she did the same. She only shrugged at me. Muli kong sinulyapan si Chelsea. Hindi gaanong nakangiti pero may kakaibang emosyon na makikita sa mata ni Loki habang kausap siya.