April Fools!

LORELEI

WHEN DID April Fools' Day originated?

I have been wondering when did this April Fools' started or where did it orinally came from. According to the articles I have read, the April Fools' was speculated to begin from France. It has something to do with them switching their calendars from Julian to Gregorian. Thus, changing the dates of their New Year. Some people did not hear the news which resulted to their celebration to the schedule of New Year that they have known.

While the first part discussed the origin of this day to the France, the next part explain it to be related with festivals or the weather of our Mother Earth. Dahil usong-uso ang paggawa ng mga kalokohan at isisisi sa pangalan ng araw ngayon, nag-isip din ako ng joke na sasabihin kay Loki para hindi magpahuli sa kung anong mayroon.

Loki was busy reading another book different from what I saw yesterday. I assumed this one to be classified in the fantasy genre mainly because of its book cover. This scenario felt like a deja vu as I have seen him before reading a Harry Potter book which was relevant to the case referred to us by Herschel.

"Seeing you reading a fantasy book really shocks me, Loki," I told him honestly.

I saw how his hand froze from flipping the page to the next one. Ibinaba niya ang libro at tumingin sa akin.

"Who knows this might be needed when an unrealistic-real case comes to us?" he answered with a questioning tone. "There are some criminals who wanted to look like their crime was a product of magic when magic doesn't actually exist in reality."

"Okay," is all that I said.

The same lifeless eyes bore to me, but I can sense curiosity in it. Most of the time, I do not care whatever article or book he is reading. Ngayon ay nagtataka siya bakit ako biglang nagkaroon ng gana na magtanong sa kanya.

"I can tell that something is bothering you, Lorelei. Should there be a problem bothering you, you can share it with me. We may not be as close as other dorm mates, but you can regard me as the President of our club."

Napayuko ako. Pinaglaruan ko ang mga daliri ko.

"The truth, Loki, is..." I trailed off. I closed my eyes and opened it again. When I raised my head, I got his full attention. "I don't know how to say it."

"What is it? Was it too personal that you can't confide it with me? Or has it something to do with your feelings with my brother?" he asked jokingly and smirked. "You can confess your feelings to him. He might acknowledge it, but I doubt that he will return the same fee—"

"I love you, Loki."

He stilled. "What?"

"I said, 'I love you.'"

His eyes keep on blinking, and honestly, I do not know what to do—whether I should laugh because it was the first time I saw him surprised or keep my act to properly pull the joke on him.

"I..." He paused, taking a deep breath as his face turned bright red under the light coming from the bulb of our room. "I lo—"

"Just joking! Happy April Fools!"

"O-Oh." He laughed fakely. He wiped his forehead with the back of his trembling hand. "I know you're just fooling me 'cause it's already month of April. Tss."

He suddenly left me alone. He went to the kitchen to get a water. Inisang lagok niya 'yon. Nang makitang papalapit ako ay naibagsak niya ang baso sa lababo at nagmamadaling pumasok sa kwarto niya.

My eyes followed where he headed and I laughed. That was epic. How I hope to film his reaction? Hindi ko akalain gano'n ang magiging reaksyon niya sa sinabi ko. His cheeks were as red as the tomato. Because his skin is slightly pale, it was easy to see the changes in his color.