Sunday Morning

LORELEI

EVERY WEEKDAY has the same routine. We wake up in the morning, drink a coffee, tea, or hot chocolate, eat our breakfast, wash the dishes, and take a shower before going to school. Actually, this is how the routine goes when Loki does not wake up late. When he does, I'm sure he skips eating meals and heads to the bathroom before going to school. When the class ends, if there was no case for us to solve, we would have the same night routine—taking a shower, dinner, washing the dishes, and sleeping. Before sleeping, there might be changes. It could be that I am updating my blog or I am reading a book or doing an assignment. Loki's routine has always been the same whether it was weekdays or weekends. The only difference is the we wake up a little late during weekends, but today is completely different from what we were used to.

There were knocks on the door, three slow knocks. I looked at Loki, but he has his full attention on the book he was reading. His hair is disheveled like he just rose up from the bed and did not have time to fix it. Nonetheless, Loki does not comb his hair, so it wasn't something new.

I stood. Kailan ba tumayo si Loki para siya ang magbukas ng pinto? Hindi pa kami nakakapag-almusal at kape pa lang ang naiinom namin. I yawned as I headed to the door to opened it. To my surprise, the one standing in front of me was someone I never expected to visit our room. Wearing a button down blue shirt and a pants, Luthor held a paper bag in his right hand. There was no emotion in his eyes and the shiver travelled down my spine. The air must have followed him here 'cause I can feel the chills all over my body. Only he can cause this much impact to me. Luthor is the man who can bring fear even without doing anything. His simple stare can make your knees wobble. His simple words can make you pray for the land to eat you right there and then. His mere existence is terrifying that I wonder how can he do it.

"Are you not going to let me in?"

I brought back to reality when he spoke. "Come in!"

Binuksan ko nang malaki ang pinto para makapasok siya sa loob. His eyes wandered around our place before it landed to his brother sitting comfortably on the chair.

"What are you doing here?"

Without even looking, he spatted the words. Hindi niya binanggit ang pangalan ng kuya niya pero base sa pananalita ay mukhang alam niyang ito ang bisita namin.

"I'm running an errand."

"And does that errand has something to do with visiting me here?" Loki closed his book and placed it on the table. He brought his cup to the sink.

Luthor followed him there. "This is my errand."

Nakasunod lang ako ng tingin sa magkapatid na nasa iisang lugar. Nakasarado naman ang mga bintana pero ramdam ko ang lamig sa pagitan ng dalawa. In any moment, we would be freezing because of their coldness.

Luthor put down the paper bag he was holding on the kitchen table. Inilabas niya ang mga lagayan at binuksan. The smell reached my nose, my stomach grumbled in hunger.

"Have you eaten your breakfast?"

Knowing Loki, he wouldn't answer his brother and let him be awkward inside this house. That's his way of saying to his brother that he doesn't like his presence. If Luthor is gone, he would probably tell me how his brother's evil presence surrounded the room and we might need to get the apartment bless again to put the evils away.

I answered Luthor instead of letting the silence ensue. "Hindi pa."

"The old man sent these foods for you." He gestured the foods. "This is the errand I am talking about."

I thanked him and invited him to eat breakfast with us. Kahit pa mukhang nakakain na siya ng agahan ay nakisabay pa rin siya sa amin.

Loki was still silent. Not that he is noisy when we are eating breakfast. There was just an awkward air surrounding the three of us.