Your Cloak

After a few hours, the family got ready for bed.  Emma meets Violet in the halls and they start talking. Violet quikley notices that she looks more genuinely happy again. She wasn't forcing it.

"You're so cheery after you came back, did something happen?"

"Oh, nothing, Ray just talked to me a bit."
She says this with a big smile as she looks to the side. Violet looked clearly unsatisfied with her answer, she knew there was more Emma was hiding.
"Come now, Emma. I'm not stupid. I know you two didn't JUST talk."
Violet places her finger in the middle of Emma's chest where her heart is and tilts her head with a smile.
"What's gotten this lil heart so happy today? I can see through your lies Emma. Come on!"
Emma starts nervously laughing and remembers that feeling. That warm feeling in her heart. She was so comforted in his soft arms that she had totally dazed off on his shoulders.

"He just.." She started, "he kinda just hugged me. It wasn't that big a deal, trust me.." Emma selfconsiously started twirling her little braid in her fingers.

"You guys were gone for a while. He was hugging you for that long!? Hahah. I guess that IS kinda cute."

Of course Emma told her the truth, but there was so much more than that. That moment they shared couldn't be described in words of such simplicity. But as she was going to continue her story, Violet started walking away while yawning.
"Kay, Emma, I already know you left out a whole lot, but I'm really tired so... byee."
"Okay, bye, Violet."
And then they went to sleep.

The next morning after breakfast. Emma walks into the library where she sees Ray sitting alone, reading-as he normally does. She remembers how Yuugo had to talk to him and how he only called Ray to be picked even though two people were ALWAYS chosen. She decides to go up to Ray and ask about it.

"Hey, Ray"
"Oh hey, Emma" he says while turning back to his book.

He seems a bit dismissive with her. More than usual.
"Um, are you alright?" she asks,
"Yeah." He says, "do you need something?"
"Oh. Um, I was just curious about what Yuugo had to talk to you about. That's all."

Ray shuts his book and rests one arm around the top of his chair, while the other remains on the book. He gives her a grin,
"Curiosity killed the cat, y'know"

Shes happy that he gives her his full attention now.
She interlocks her fingers behind her back and leans towards him from across the table, returning the same grin back.
"Well yeah, I know. But I also know you would never hurt me, Ray~."

"Hahaha. That's true" he smiles at her more genuinely. That simple expression he gave made her feel nervous and warm inside. She couldn't help but smile back.

She started again, "Are you really not gonna tell me though?"
"Nope."
She gives up, still confused.
"Okay then," She sighs, "atleast tell me who's going hunting today."
"Now THAT is something I'll tell you." He speaks, "It's me and Oliver at night today".
"Okay, thank you." she turns around to leave but as she does, she hears him whisper. It was quiet, but it felt like he said it into her ear. It almost felt like the world went silent for her to hear him...for that one interval of time.

"I'll tell you one day... or.. you might already know by then..."

She hears him.. But she was already walking away. She couldn't turn back to ask him now.
She looks back at him, and he returns his gaze to his book. As she leaves the library, her eyes get hooked onto his book.

It had a black cover with dark patters and curving designs. At the top, there was a golden ribbon like lacing. It was loosely hung by black string. It looked so delicate and formal. Beautiful.

"That book is... so pretty," she thought to herself. She leaves the library, still thinking of the book.
~~~

When Ray and Gillian were getting ready to leave, she noticed that he took a different cloak with him than usual. Then, she suddenly remembered that she actually took his that one time, but he never asked for it back. She still had it.

When they left, some of the family was working on dinner, or the children were playing downstairs. Gillian and Ray would be back in about an hour.

~40 minutes passed already~

Emma hadn't been doing much. She was really bored. She was killing as much time as she could. Then, she started organising her room. She finds that everything is messy, except for one thing.. Ray's cloak. It was neatly folded while everything else was all over the place.
"Maybe I should return this before we forget again.. yeah... I should!"

Emma grabs the large cloak and walks in the empty hallways towards Ray's room.

When she got there, she noticed that it was a neat room, the bed was made, the curtains looked perfect, his desk was organised. Everything was in order. Her breaths started to feel heavy and shallow. She was standing in Ray's room.

"HELLO!? EARTH TO EMMA, RETURN THE CLOAK AND LEAVE!!"

She was yelling at herself in her head to quickly leave the room but her body was refusing her. She took another glimps around the room and noticed that the beautiful book wasn't in sight. Although she wanted to, she wasn't about to look for it in his stuff.

She left the door open slightly and wandered further into the unknown space of her best friend. She makes her way to his bed and takes a seat, her back towards the door. She put the cloak around herself and felt consumed by his familiar scent.

Why was she feeling so off recently? It's only ever with Ray. She couldn't pinpoint it and it was driving her crazy.

"What's going on with me?"
She loved her family. That's a fact, but... She feels different towards Ray.
She hugs herself with his cloak in a light embrace.

She looks over and sees a mirror on his desk. She walks to it and plays with her hair.

But then, she looked at her braid that hid her missing ear and her smile slowly faded.

She undid her braid and looks at her missing ear. She suddenly felt slightly disheartened at the sight of it.

Then her heart skips a beat at a familiar voice.

"Emma?"