Chapter 3

You felt sick. You felt sick and the demon only made it worse as he sat by your bedside. Not a care was given as your mother walked in, worry dominating any other expression on her face. The demon would just watch her, saying nothing as you just lay in bed. Any food you had tasted horrible and the thought of what you liking the taste of hearts made you want to puke. The demon had taken up to going out and coming back with more, forcing the bloody organs down your throat.

It only got worse as you started to get curious about how he got them. You slowly got up, the demon turning its head and watching you with that sickening grin. Your feet dragged the rest of you to the bathroom, the mirror only showing what you had turned into. Your cheeks were sunken in, your eyes looked as though they had sunken into your skull, and your skin was sickly pale. The sight disgusted you just as much as the memories of the hearts.

The demon never left your side and when he wasn't defined in his torn red suit he was simply a shadow with a light pair of eyes and that twisted grin. That was something else you had noticed. The shadows followed you, darkening rooms and curling about as if to beckon you to fall deeper than what you were already forced to help with. You had moved your classes online, the whole education system seeming easier for you this way according to your mother. "Hey honey, dinner is ready whenever you're ready," your mother knocked on the door, her voice soft and sweet from the other side.

"I'll be down in a minute," your voice was scratchy. You hadn't bothered to use it while you were home. Your parents wouldn't push you to it; they feared what you could see just as much as you did.

My dear, you look absolutely horrifying!

Your eyes turned to the demon standing over your shoulder. "What do you want now," you muttered. It stared and leaned down, the grin close to your ear. You had gotten used to it, you didn't have a choice in the matter. It was always like this.

You're beginning to bore me. I think it's time you spiced up this end of the deal.

A heart dropped in the sink, eliciting a small scream from you. Your hand covered your nose and mouth as the smell filled the small room.

Take it. I want to watch your parents eat it.

You stared in the mirror at the demon, its form glitching. "No," you muttered.

Are you denying me entertainment?

"I'm not feeding this to them. They don't-"

Then you eat it. Right now, and don't bother to clean up.

You looked at the heart in horror, your hands starting to shake as your adrenaline kicked in. You squeezed your eyes shut, reaching into the sink and grabbing the heart. There was an air of anticipation as the demon watched you slowly take bites and swallow. The blood dribbled down your chin onto the tile and the countertop. You choked, grabbing the edge of the surface to hold yourself up and fight back the twisted delight that started filling your chest.

You finished it, feeling a rush go through your veins as the demon chuckled in joy. The grin pinched the corners of its eyes as there came a knock at the door again. You quickly dug around, grabbing at a razor and taking it apart. "Honey," your mother called through the door. You turned and locked it with a speed you didn't know you had, holding one of the free blades up to your tongue. "Honey? What's going on in there? Are you all right?"

"I'm- I'm fine mom, I'll be down in a minute," you shifted and stuck your tongue out. The demon watched with curiosity at your quick coverup. The blade glided across your tongue, your eyes scrunching as the lock on the door clicked and your father opened it.

The past few days had been quiet. Your parents hadn't said anything and the meals together were quiet. Graduation was coming up and you just wanted to be excited about something for a change. The demon had gone away for a bit to your relief. It was just you and the creatures that came as the hallucinations started up again. You squirmed as you watched them, their little hands pulling living things apart and handing them over to bigger ones. Even now as you walked through the park to try and get some fresh air.

You rubbed your head as you sat on the bench, the air brisk and the ice of it stinging your lungs. You watched as some of the smaller things raced around your feet, the act looking almost cute if it weren't for the red tint and the ooze coming off of them. A body sat next to you but you didn't pay it any mind as you watched the creatures.

"Hey," you jumped, looking up at a man as he stared with a curious look. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing- nothing sir," you stared for a minute, looking away.

"No, I mean it, what's wrong with you? You haven't looked up," he stared down at your feet before leaning closer. You shifted away, squeaking when the familiar static made itself known. You looked around quickly the man still looking around your feet. The demon wasn't there. It still hadn't come back from wherever it had crawled. Maybe it was trying to come up and with that thought, an idea came to your head.

You stared at the man and then looked around, slowly standing up.

"Can you help me," you asked. He stared for a minute, his eyebrow lifting.

"What do you need help with," he sat up and crossed his arms.

"There's this shack. I'm scared to go in but my dog ran inside," you gave a sheepish smile, knowing that the demon would be laughing at the blatant lie. The man however stared and stood up

"Well," he motioned you to follow and you did. 

You panted, your fingers drawing the symbols on the walls with an unknown practice. The tap on your shoulder made you jump and scream.

What have we here?

You turned, the demon's face almost touching yours as he stared at your work on the walls. You felt the tremble come to your hands, your fingers fidgeting as the blood started to dry on them. "I was- I don't-"

You were trying to break the contract. It's going to take a lot more power than what you have.

You stared at him, his claws wrapping around the back of your neck as he turned you around. They began to dig in, your body grimacing as the screeching static blocked out any thoughts you had.

I'm a bit disappointed, my dear. How weak do you think I am?

The grip grew tighter and the static louder as you tensed. The demon got down to your level, the grin wide and its eyes squinted with anger.

Oh come now, you can't be this upset with our contract. Don't you see how strong you've become since you've begun?

You stared at him and shivered, "I didn't- I wasn't trying to-"

Now, does it look like I accept excuses? Now, you did wonderful on this old sop!

The demon left your side, letting you go and walking to the body of the man you at shoved into the corner. It looked it over before feeling at the chest, the smile lessening to a smirk.

You forgot something, my dear.

"I-no I didn't," you slowly walked to the demon's side as it beckoned you. You watched as it slowly leads your hand to dig into the man's still chest. You fought back the urge to gag as the bones gave way to the clawed fist engulfing your hands into the slimy, squishy mess that was the man's innards. Your hand was forced open, the heart settling in your palm before the demon led your hand out with it.

There was resistance as the arteries and veins fought to keep the heart where it was, the tubes eventually giving as the heart was wrenched from its place.

You know exactly what to do with it, my dear.