Chapter 9

Angel took it to heart to not let the whole situation by for the next week. Alastor scowled every time the spider made kissy faces at you and you knew he was inwardly questioning behind the smiles. You would laugh awkwardly with every passing moment in those situations, just shrugging it as Angel continued to make you question how you felt about the demon. Husk caught on in minutes, a smirk on his face whenever Angel began his teasing.

It felt like everyone knew but Alastor. You were starting to get frustrated and your tails would lash back and forth to the rising beat of your heart rate. Your hands gripped the table as another message on your phone told you a job you applied for was given to someone else, the heat building in your blood. You felt like you were milking your stay here and it was getting painful to stew in. You let out a growl as the wood under your hand splintered and stood up, walking for the door.

You stopped a few steps from it, biting your lip as the colors shifted. It was a bad idea but you were starting to figure out how to grab at the colors, halting them and forming the world around you to the house you knew, the house you grew up in. You didn't realize Charlie was watching from the counter with Vaggie as you stood there and stared at the figures around you. They were all dressed in black, they all walked up to two familiar figures next to each other, and they all walked to a different room. You watched them, slowly walking up to the two figures as they blurred into details.

The claw marks were still on your mother's face and it pained you to look at but you took both your parents in. Both of them looked miserable and shocked as the people walked up to them. Their hands were held and shaken, they were hugged by the family you hadn't seen in years. They would know what you had been doing by now, how you had ended up dying. It hurt to think they thought they were at fault for how you ended up even though no one could see what was coming. You reached over with your hand, stopping before gently petting your mother's arm with your tail. You didn't want to scratch her again.

She shivered and moved closer to your father who put an arm over her. The tears started coming out and your hands shook. If only they knew. Maybe you should have made them eat that heart with you. You tensed a bit at the hand on your shoulder. Your eyes met Charlie's and hers widened as she looked around. Her gaze settled on you and her mouth opened and closed before words finally came out, "What is- what's this?"

"I think," you choked, hiccuping and looking back to your parents who had started to fade. "No! No! Come back! Let me explain!" You grabbed out for them, your claws scraping your father's cheek just before the whole thing vanished. Charlie let go, backing up a little and covering her mouth as you started crying. "They didn't even know! They didn't get a chance to hear me." Charlie stared for a minute before hugging you, Vaggie slowly making her way over.

"Have we seen something," Alastor's voice sang out and your head snapped up, taking in the grin on his face. Conflicting emotions twisted in your gut. It was his fault you were dead. It was his fault you left your parents so soon. Yet you couldn't be mad. He was there for you for all the visions, all the sights you couldn't carry alone. He didn't judge you when you cried out or when you messed up. He was even for you now, a hand held outward in his version of public affection.

Charlie didn't let go of you, gently squeezing you to her as Vaggie took her place next to the woman.

"It's nothing, Al," Charlie said quietly. "She'll be okay." Her tone said she didn't want him to know but it wasn't like he didn't know somehow already. Your hand was in his moments later when Charlie had relaxed, his arm pulling you over as his smile softened ever so slightly.

"You saw, didn't you dear Charlie," he sang. You felt him hold you against his side, your shoulders squished. "It's quite a gift, isn't it? You should have seen it when she was alive. Hell was practically on her doorstep! In her room, decorating the streets she took her strolls on." You shook a bit, covering your face as you hiccup. You wanted to be mad while he dwelled on the things that went on while you were alive but you knew something they didn't.