Betrayal

(A Year Later)

Fin stood guard outside the medical room in silence thinking of how they'd gotten into this mess. He'd known something was off about Rey, like she knew something he didn't. She kept on disappearing during the day and nearly every night.

She would take food, water and other necessities and sometimes wouldn't return until midday. Although she claimed she was exploring the territory, or doing a quick recon or even just needed some time alone, he knew she was lying.

After a while he told her, his suspicions. She had tried to deny she was doing anything wrong or secretive but he'd refused to believe of even speak to her for sometime. 

Eventually, she had finally come clean. Kylo Ren, or Ben as she insisted he called him, was alive.

She had begged him to stay silent about it and at first he thought she was crazy. The guy deserved to be locked up, or to remain dead for all he had done. He still remembered Rey's words about how the force brought him back for a reason, leading him to doubt the almighty power of the Jedi.

He'd promised to keep the secret, but only if she promised never to see him again. Fin had been relieved when she had agreed unwillingly. But apparently, she had lied.

As if she hadn't seen him, they wouldn't be in this situation. He felt anger his fist clenched as he leaned against the closed door. "How is she?" He looked up, Poe had walked by and stopped. He looked tired, his eyes bloodshot just like his.

"Not good." He replied hesitantly. "The doctors said she's lost a lot of energy." The two boys remained awkwardly silent.

"Do they know how many?" Poe scratched his head.

"They think it's twins."

"Gender?" He continued.

"Don't know... and don't care." He crosses his arm. The silence returned. "I know this must be hard for you and you must be worried." Poe stepped forward.

"Yeah, she's my friend. Of course I'm worried." He didn't make eye contact.

"It mustn't be easy, knowing who the father is..."

"Yeah... I guess." Fin clenched his hand again.

The door to the medical room opened and a human-like droid came out and for a split second, they could see Rey lying down on a hospital bed, tubs filled with water came out of her arms and her stomach was slightly swollen. Rey's breathing was slow yet shaky. Then the door closed quickly.

"Your angry, I can see it on your face." Poe looked into his friends eyes. "Are you angry at Rey?"

"Yes... No... I don't know." He rung his hand through his hair, sighing. "Why would she get herself in this situation, with him? With Kylo?"

"Why didn't you tell me? That he was alive." Fin looked up at Poe anger, worry and jealousy flicked in his eyes like fire.

"Who cares?" A new voice could be heard and a group of rebel pilots walked down the hallway towards them.

Rey laid down on the hospital bed, occasionally getting a strike of pain. It got more constant and constant by every minute.

When she had found out she was pregnant with Ben and her children she was filled with both unconditional happiness and dread.

She'd talked it over with Ben and he'd suggested they ran away, but she couldn't leave the rebellion, not when they needed her more than ever. Jedi were scarce, she'd found a few but she was no teacher. Rey had hated going behind her promise on not seeing Ben anymore but she couldn't help it, she needed to see him.

Their plan had been to give birth to the twins on their own but all that had changed when her water broke two weeks early.

She didn't know how to contact him and rumours have spread like wild fire. Everyone knew who the father was, she had to tell, she couldn't hide it. She heard voices outside the door, then shouts and her heart raced just as she got another surge of pain only this time it didn't stop. The droids hung around her as she looked up at the ceiling.

Her breathing was heavy and quick, for a second everything slowed down and she mumbled something before time sped up again. "Ben."

Ben woke up, the sun close to setting in the distance and the endless sand seemed to be moving from the heat waves. "Rey." It was happening, and he was missing it. He got up running out, leaving his stuff behind. "I'm coming." 

He knew she had taken the hoverbike with her, meaning he would have to travel on foot. And to make matters worse the wind was picking up and rapidly getting more dangerous as sand drifted into his eyes. He blinked beginning to run, his feet moving unevenly on the ground.

"Move out of the way, stormtrooper scum." The pilot hissed in Fin's face.

"Stand down Harrison." Poe warned but the two other pilots moved threateningly closer to the general.

"Move aside!" Harrison spat through gritted teeth his fist clenched.

"Your not going anywhere near her." Fin looked him straight in the eye.

"She betrayed us!" Harrison continued. "She is giving birth to the babies of Kylo Ren. Doesn't that bother you? She didn't even tell us he was alive. She doesn't deserve to be part of the resistance, and those babies deserve to die!" Quickly Fin hit him square in the face.

At the same time a scream, Rey's scream, could be heard from inside the room. She was in labour, Fin guessed but felt himself be pulled to the ground. A fight broke out, Poe yelled for them to stopped but instead got pulled into the squabble.

The ex-stormtrooper tasted blood in his mouth and soon found that Poe had been knocked out and dragged away by the other two pilots, leaving him and Harrison alone. "Listen, listen." Fin held up his hands and the pilot stopped mid-punch. 

"Rey will never let you get close to her, she may be weak but she's still powerful." He panted leaning against the doorway to the hospital room. "Leave it to me... and I will kill the offspring." He said, meaning every word. "But you must swear, not to harm Rey."

There was a silence. Reys screams had stopped and a loud smashing of glass could be heard. Fin opened the door and ran into the room, the droids had been flung across the room, the hospital bed was empty and one of the windows leading straight out into the desert was broken and in pieces all over the floor.

"She must've heard me." Fin swore putting his hand on his forehead.

"The little bitch." Harrison ran out the door but Fin looked out the window. It wasn't high and he could see the sand had been turned and moved around from her landing. In the distance he saw something and his eyes went wide with fear. 

A huge sandstorm was rolling its way. There was no way she would make it out there, alone and in labour.