CHAPTER 10: Think Before I Talk

HARLEY

When we returned back home, we got off the bikes and right away I started going off on Savannah.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" I exclaimed.

"Don't start Harley. I swear, you have to stop looking at me like I'm a little kid still. I'm not! Plus, you aren't my dad!" She snapped at me.

"I may not be your father but I have ALWAYS been the one there for you and have always helped defend you and keep you safe!" I snapped at her.

"And who asked you to do that?! I know it sure as hell wasn't me and I know it wasn't my mom neither!" She fires back at me.

"And we all know she couldn't. I swear Savannah, you are way too careless and need to start thinking about your actions and the consequences that will occur to not just yourself but the ones you bring along!" I  point out while pointing off to the side at Macey.

Savannah then glares at me.

"Don't you think you're being a little hypocritical there cousin?!" She asks with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Savannah!" Tank snaps at her.

"What? He can snap at me and treat me like a damn child but I can't give him a taste of his own medicine?!" She snaps at Tank.

"Oh don't you dare even start with me. I have paid every single day and will always regret the day I got involves with those guys but I have done NOTHING but make sure you and your mother have been taken care of and always were safe. And if you INSIST on holding that over my head for the rest of my life, ESPECIALLY knowing that I did EVERYTHING I could to try and save him, then FUCK YOU! In fact, you know what? Do whatever the hell you want to for all I care. You want to get yourself killed or what not for attention then go ahead. You want to endanger others lives, then fine, but don't come crying or asking me for help when shit happens!" I snap at her before getting back on my bike and peeling out onto the road and heading towards town to get away.

I can't believe she still holds my little brothers death over my head. I did everything I could to try and protect him and save him but I couldn't. I was only six years old and my brother was three. It was back when my dad was with the wrong crowd and deep in some shit that they paid a visit to us one day and as the babysitter tried fighting them off, they instead assaulted her and shot her right in the head while I tried to protect my older step-brother who was only ten years old at the time.

However, they busted into the room we were in and found us and right as I had tried to fight them off, one of them had thrown me across the room causing me to hit the wall so hard and hit my head to the point it knocked me out cold.

The next thing I knew I was waking up with my dad right next to me, crying and holding my step-brother in his arms.

My dad never talked about it after, which also was about the time he ended up treating me differently. Even though he didn't say it to me, everyday until the day he died, I saw it in his eyes every time looked into mine that he blamed me.

I loved my stepbrother, we were practically like blood brothers. In a way, I started noticing not long after my dad met his mom and she left her son with us after she took off with some guy in the club and ended up overdosing on drugs.

But all of that is in the past now. Ever since that day, there are only a few that I have allowed to get close to me and Savannah is one of them and knows that whomever I get close to I have to protect. That's what I did.

After her father died we had grown even closer to each other because we had that in common.

I will always love my dad and knew he loved me up until the day he had died even, despite the hurt he had in his eyes after my stepbrother had died.

I always told Savannah and them that we were always close because I didn't want Savannah's mom to ever look at my dad differently. That was her brother and they were too very close.

He always tried helping her out in particularly more when she was sick and I knew he always felt guilty he couldn't do a whole lot for her at the time. So I made a promise at his funeral that until the day I died, I was going to be there for her and her mom no matter what.

Fuck, why can't I think before I say anything?!

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)