Chapter One

1857

Somewhere in the south

Anna felt fear run down her spine, her hearts rhythm changed, panic setting in. It was the third threatening glance Thomas had given her. She knew she had to act soon before she lost the freedom she now had. She needed to run! Run away from the plantation with her freedom papers, before Thomas got his hands on them. She needed to act now when he was still distracted by his mother's burial. She pulled up her cumbersome black dress and started walking back to the house hastily. She walked so fast she was almost running. Thank god, the family cemetery wasn't too far from the plantation house.

In less than five minutes, she pushed the front door open and started running upstairs still holding up her dress. She grabbed two bags she had packed earlier from Mrs. Bilson's bedroom and rushed downstairs. At the foyer, she met Brandon, Thomas's stooge and overseer. He was with another man she didn't recognize. He stood in front of her, blocking her way out.

"Excuse me," she said with clenched teeth, not giving them eye contact.

"Are you rushing somewhere?" Brandon sneered.

"Of course I am and you are in my way," she said irritably.

"Well Mr. Bilson...."

"I'll take it from here," Thomas interrupted Brandon walking into the house. He looked cheerful for someone who had just put his mother to rest.
'Was the ceremony even over?' she wondered.

"Annabel!" he exclaimed happily throwing his hands in the air like he was about to give her a happy embrace and continued sarcastically, "You were my mother's favorite and you left before they could even put her coffin in the ground. I couldn't help but wonder if everything was okay with you.... I thought perhaps it was too much for you to watch....that perhaps you needed comfort...," He paused and looked at the bags in her hands, "but seeing the bags in your hands suggests otherwise."

He took a few slow majestic steps toward her. "It seems you're on your way somewhere, which I frankly find very disrespectful..... but, I wont jump to conclusion and hope that you have a very good reason for this impromptu journey," he smiled sweetly.

Anna knew his smile and look of concern was just an act. He knew exactly what she was up to. He knew she was trying to run away, knew his mother freed her. However, she knew that he was going to do anything but let her go free.

"Where are you going Annabel?" He finally asked

''Anywhere I want, I'm free now," she answered trying to sound as calm, and polite as she could, even though she was fuming inside.

"Free?" he asked incredulously

"Your mother freed me before she died sir."

He raised his brow thoughtfully and rubbed his English mustache that made him look older than he was.
"How do I know you are telling the truth?"

"I'd never leave this place without my freedom sir," she answered feeling frustrated, angry and afraid.

"I need proof," he said dramatically.

"Isn't my word enough?"

"You know it's not," he said, his face quickly changing to the evil face she was familiar with. She stared at him in silence, her chest heaving up and down.

"I have the papers...."

"Let me have a look," he said rather too quick.

She looked at him for a long time, she knew it was a trick to get his hands on her papers. He wanted to take them away from her. She shook her head lightly and said, "no," her voice so soft it was almost a whisper.