Chapter 40

"Let me explain."

"What are you going to tell me now, what's your excuse this time Harry?"

"I wanted to make sure you got your freedom before I broke it off....to protect you."

"Protect me?....It's always about protecting me, your every lie is about protecting me!"

"It's the truth, in fact James came up with the idea and it's a good idea...."

"Marrying her is your best idea of protecting me after everything?"

"I'm not marrying her...."

"It sure looks like it," she said sarcastically.
"This is my father's doing...."

"You told me you were going to call off the engagement Harry!" She said firmly, "you lied to me!"

"I did not, I meant it when I told you I was sending the letter, until the plan changed."

"Plan changed," she said and shook her head in disappointment. "I'm so stupid."

"No you're not stupid," he said firmly, "trust me Anna, I didn't tell you the truth because.... firstly, you'd have thought it was just an excuse for me to keep Elizabeth, secondly because it involves Thomas."

Anna's eyes grew wide.

"Thomas?" she asked softly, "Thomas Bilson?"

"He's your rightful owner, he's the only one who can grant your freedom, if we can get your papers from him, Hawkins will have no power over you...."

She pulled her hand away and stepped out of the carriage. He followed.

"You've been talking to Thomas behind my back!"

"Anna it's a good plan.... best plan."

"You said yourself he has power over me, more than anyone else, and he has some unfinished business with me! He hates me Harry, he will do anything to hurt me. You just sold me out. He's using you to get to me."

"He won't get to you trust me."

She looked at him tears running down her cheeks, "for the first time I had hope, I believed you....I....I thought we could do this, I thought we could have a future together."

"Of course we can.... we do have a future together."

"Yes....one where you use me as your secret wench like everybody else," she said and walked away.

Harry looked at James. "It was your idea and you couldn't even help me out."

James said nothing. Harry rubbed his hair back uneasily.

"This has to come to an end," he said and headed to the house.

                                                                                                                           *****

As soon as Harry entered the ballroom, Elizabeth spotted him and hurried toward him.

"Dr. Walker," she curtsied with a happy smile.

"Miss. Hawkins," he said and made a quick bow.

"We need to talk," he said taking her hand and started walking fast, ignoring everyone approaching to greet or congratulate them. He was walking so fast Elizabeth was literally running.

"Can we walk a little slower?" She asked with a strained smile, as he led her to the study.

"I'm sorry it's urgent," he answered and opened the door. Inside the study, stood his father.