Chapter 5

'Well she threw herself at me in the garden and I lavished her with kisses and almost bedded her right there in the garden.' The thought ran through his head, but he was smart enough not to say that aloud and he prayed to god he didn't look as guilty as he felt.

"Never mind, I see her," Harry said and waved at Rose.

She smiled and walked toward them. Nicks blood ran cold. Could she tell her brother what they just did?

"Brother!" She grinned, "how did it go with Elizabeth?"

"You won't believe what I just did."

As Harry told her about asking Elizabeth to marry him, Rose behaved normal and excited for his brother. She even included Nick in the conversation acting like nothing had happened between them earlier. It left Nick feeling more guilty about how he treated her after their impromptu kiss.

                                     ****

Two weeks later, Harry went to Mr. Hawkins plantation dressed impeccably. He always dressed well, but this time he went a little extra, obviously to impress the beautiful Miss. Hawkins. He had received a letter from Elizabeth saying she was to travel to France to be by her dying grandmothers side. They had stayed in touch through letters since the last time they met at the ball. He had decided in the past week that his rushed idea to proposal to her wasn't such a bad idea after all. He was intrigued by her. She was perfect for him, beautiful and smart. For once he felt like his father made a right choice for him.

He straightened himself as he walked up the giant piazza with big white columns. The door flew open on his first knock.

"Dr. Walker!" Elizabeth exclaimed her hand on her chest acting surprised, her two handmaids on her side. She had seen him through her bedroom window and came rushing downstairs.

"What a pleasant surprise," she grinned.

"Lovely to see you too Miss. Hawkins," he said and bowed slightly. "Are you headed somewhere?" he asked.

"Oh no," she waved her hand airily, "the girls and I were going to take a walk in the garden," she lied, "but that can be done later...would you like to come in?"

"I would like to walk with you if you don't mind," he said.

"I don't mind at all," she smiled and waved off her handmaids.

They set off on a paved footpath towards the back of the house where everything looked green and fresh for summer. There were a few slaves working on the garden, a young boy watering with a wooden bucket, others trimming, pruning and weeding. It was beautiful with different kinds of flowers and plants.
"You have a beautiful garden," Harry said as they walked.

"Thank you. No matter the season father tries to keep the garden looking fresh. I call it madness," she chuckled, "You do have a nice garden too."

"You saw my garden?"

"Yes, we walked through it briefly that evening at the ball," she said.

He couldn't remember that they did. His garden was very small that he was surprised she noticed. It was mostly vegetables and a few flowers that Old fella grew there.

"I don't buy vegetables anymore, old fella has made sure of that," Harry said.

"Old-fella?"

"The man who works on my garden, we all call him Old-fella, no body knows his real name. He claims that he has been punished his whole life for not accepting names given to him by his masters and for refusing to tell anyone his real name."

"That's odd," she said.

"Well, I'm sure it's something special to him, something he feels he can hold on too. Something that gives him pride with the little he has in his life. I think it gives him a sense of control over his life and I like that about him."

"He sounds like a difficult slave to handle." She frowned.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was in his younger days, but he's a very old man now. I've asked him not to bother with the garden, but I think he loves it, its his pass time and I'm sure it keeps his mind off things."

"You don't have to worry about his age, they can work at a much older age than we can. They are way stronger than us."

That was the stupidest thing he'd heard her say since meeting her. But who could blame her, that's what she grew up being taught. If he married her, he knew he could teach her better.

"The color of a person doesn't make a person stronger, weaker or smarter Miss. Hawkins. The slaves are just like us. Some are strong, some are weak, and some are smarter."

"I don't know about smarter," she smirked.

"How can you determine someone's intelligence if you haven't given them a chance to learn?  And I'm sure if we all worked with someone following us with a whip and threats upon our lives, we would all seen very strong."

"You seem to know a lot about them niggers Dr. Walker," she said waving a hand fan to cool off that summer heat.

"You have a lot to learn if you marry me Miss. Hawkins."

"Is that something you are still considering?"

"Marrying you?" he asked as they crossed a small wooden overpass that lead to a tobacco field.

"Yes. I mean I'm going away...."

"For how long?" he interjected

"I don't know," she looked down pensively, "It will depend on grandmama's health."

"Well then, I will wait for you, for as long as it takes," he said.

"How about we don't make each other promises and write to each other every day if we can," she said with a sad smile.

"If that's your wish Miss. Hawkins," he smiled endearingly and took both her hands in his. "But, you must know that, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes on, therefore, there is nothing in this world that can stop me from waiting for you."

Before Elizabeth could relish those beautiful words, a loud scream came from the field, followed by a commotion. They looked to the direction of the scream and reality set in for Harry. He was so carried away in conversation that he didn't notice the horror happening around him. He was a few meters away from the field with tired mostly emaciated slaves. He felt like he had just walked from paradise into hell. There was chaos among the slaves, most of them running toward the scream.
"What's happening?" Harry asking a male slave standing at a distance looking at the commotion heedlessly.

"I think someone fainted or died." The slave shrugged

Please vote comment and follow