Chapter 31

After a morning work briefing, James pulled out an envelope from his Jacket and said, "I found this letter addressed to miss Elizabeth Hawkins."

"It should have been mailed by now," Harry said anxiously.

"I was holding on to it."

"Why would you do that?" Harry asked.

"I know it's none of my business, but I am curious as to the contents of this letter considering you haven't written to her in a while."

"I'm letting her know that I can't marry her."

"That's exactly what I was afraid of," James said.

"Why?"

"You see, Mr. Hawkins now knows that you are having an affair with Anna, breaking up with Elizabeth now will not only hinder your chances of ever buying Anna from him. It will also put Anna in grave danger. I'd suggested that you keep the relationship with Elizabeth until you can figure out how to get Anna away from Hawkins hands permanently."

He had a point.

"Anna would never let me be with her if she knew I haven't ended things with Elizabeth."

"Who says she has to know.... sometimes you got to lie to people you love to get things done right?"
Harry pondered for a moment. "You're right, but I don't want to lie to Anna and frankly, I have no better plan of freeing Anna from Hawkins besides leaving this town or country ...."

"He will hunt you down....you know how he is."
"What do you suggest I do?"

"I have a plan," James said excitedly, "a plan that will let you have her from Hawkins permanently," James said.

"Why are you helping me James....? I remember very well you asking me to leave Anna alone. How my relationship with her was doomed."

"It might be doomed...." He remained quiet for a moment, "but I've never seen you this smitten in the twenty years that I've worked for you....She makes you happy."

Harry blushed.

"What's the idea?" He asked.

"I'll tell you as we work."

****

As Harry worked, he got summoned urgently to a very sick woman according to the report. He found a distressed brother of the woman waiting outside their two-story town house. He welcomed Harry excitedly and led him in the house.

"What is the matter with your sister?" Harry asked as they walked up the stairs to her room. She has locked herself in her bedroom crying since yesterday. She says she has some....disease, but she won't tell anyone what it is. She's getting married in a week....She's afraid her betrothed won't want to Marry her once he sees it," the brother explained.

"It?" Harry asked.

The man shrugged and knocked on the door lightly.

"Go away!" came a woman's voice.

"The doctor is here."

"I'm not letting a man see my ...." She trailed off.

"I just want to talk to you for now," Harry said humbly leaning in closer to the door. There was a long moment of silence.

"Come in," she said.

Harry walked in with James. She was standing by the window in her white night gown, her large brown curls cascading down her shoulders. She was tall and slender. A very beautiful young girl of no more than twenty. She didn't look sick at all, but her face looked tired with puffy eyes, possibly from crying.