Chapter 34

"I thought Dr. Walker was going to help you get the papers."

"His father will never let him."

"Well why don't you let him help you escape. You said yourself that he offered."

He paused for a moment and said, "I don't trust him anymore.... after what he's doing to you.... I can't trust him."

"He's not hurting me Kelvin...."

"He knows I like you!" he said angrily. "He knows I'm in love with you Anna, because I told him that night when I brought him papers to sign, and he still went ahead and took you for himself like they all do....they take everything good from us, our freedom, life, joy, women, children and pride, they take everything Anna." They stared at each other in silence.

Kelvin came the day after the night Anna and Harry had their first kiss. Harry wasn't stealing her away from him, he learnt about Kelvin liking Anna after he was technically with her. But would it be right to defend him, she wondered.

"I thought we made a connection that day.... the idea of moving here to work for Harry became more exciting."

"I was already with him that day you came.... He didn't betray you.... you can still trust him."

"I don't trust no white man!" He interjected angrily.

"He's got you swept up in his games and you think it's going to be like that forever."

He shook his head disapprovingly. "I feel sorry for you."

Anna looked down, she was angry, but she wasn't sure if it was at Kelvin or herself.

"Here is an idea, ask him to help you escape or buy you freedom, because if that were me, that's the first thing I'd do for the woman I love."

"He's working on something," Anna retorted.

"On what?" Kelvin asked incredulously.

"He didn't tell me what, but I know he is."

Kelvin scoffed and laughed without amusement.

"It's all a lie Anna, you think all the women that have been used by their masters didn't hear similar stories?!"

"What do you want me to do Kelvin! Reject him and have him send me back to Hawkins to be tortured and killed?"

"Run away with me Anna," he moved and took her hands in his, "I have a map, you can read and write, so you can write us passes. I will protect you."

He pulled a paper from his shoes, "look at this."

Anna looked at the paper.

"Life begins in a dream where light shines on a growing maze," she read aloud,"this is not a map."

"No, its not, its a place where I'm supposed to meet the people that will help me....us, if you come....."

"And it's called 'life begins in a dream where light shines on a growing maze'?"

"I don't know, I think its like a metaphor I'm supposed to figure out or something."

"What about the map, where is the map?"

Kelvin tapped his head with his index finger. She looked at the paper again. Her heart was racing, and she didn't know why.

"So, can you do it?" Kelvin asked.

"Do what?" she asked even though she knew what he meant.

"Write the passes and run away with me."

"What about Christine and Old fella?"