Chapter 38

"Mr. Collins has told me a lot about you."

"All good I hope."

They all laughed

"Mind taking Dr. Walker to the fire place to dry while I take care of Annabelle." Rosalie cut in.

"If course my love," Francis replied.

                                                                                                                       ****

Anna sat in front of Rosalie's dressing mirror as she brushed and pinned her hair in her luxurious bedroom she shared with Francis. A young slave woman walked in with a tray of tea. She poured Anna and Rosalie each a cup and scampered away. By now Anna had already established that Rosalie was the mistress of the house. She had heard about women like Rosalie who married masters and owned slaves, some were rumored to be just as cruel as white masters, but she had never met one, Rosalie was her first.

"She's a servant not a slave," Rosalie said as if reading Anna's mind. "Everyone here is a servant not a slave, I made sure of that."

She put a hair pin between her lips and twisted a small amount of hair above Anna's temple, then pinned it above her ear.

"Isabel," she said referring to the girl that brought them tea, "is a startled young girl, she's never relaxed around me, I bet she thinks I'll have her flogged or something, I've tried to make her feel at ease, but it hasn't helped. We pay them and feed them well."

She stooped and placed her head on Ann's shoulder and looked at her through the mirror. She made Anna's hair look like it had large curls, it looked beautiful.

"You are very beautiful, no wonder your master couldn't resist you," she said without a smile. "Turn around and face me," she said.

Anna did.

She opened the drawer and took out a jewelry box. She took two diamond drop earrings and said, "Francis got me these from a place called Portugal during his travels."

She put them on Anna's ears then pulled out a neckless slowly and said, "and this came with the earrings.  She placed it gently on Anna's chest and clipped it around her neck. It felt cold and heavy. She moved back and looked at Anna for a second.

"One last touch." She opened another drawer and took a small coin size container with a small brush. She carefully brushed the content of the container on Anna's lips. She moved back again and flashed a satisfied smile.

"You can now look in the mirror." Anna turned around and jerked backwards a little.

She thought she was looking at a different person, she looked so beautiful, her lips were a fiery red, her hair curled and styled to perfection, the jewelry sparkling, making her smooth skin glow. She had never, won lipstick before, or expensive jewelry, or had her hair done like that.

Who was that person she was looking at in the mirror?

Rosalie stooped down again and said, "They say lipstick is for prostitutes, but they forget why men leave their wives to spend money on prostitutes."

She walked to the table and grabbed her cup of tea and took a sip. Anna was still staring at herself in shock.

"Prostitutes know the first rule to please a man is with your looks. Every woman needs to have a little prostitute in her to please her man." Rosalie added and winked walking back to the dressing table.

She brushed the same lipstick on her lips lightly then smiled at Anna from the corner of her eyes. Anna smiled shyly.

"Come on, let's go and join them," Rosalie said taking her hand.