Chapter 37

"I was thinking, that maybe we should move here permanently, away from everything, I can build a house right here overlooking the lake." Harry said as they sat relaxing by the lake.

He looked at her and asked , "what do you think?"

She looked speechless.

"Christine and old fella can come with us if you want, hopefully I will have bought Kelvin his freedom," he added.

Anna opened her mouth and closed it again. She didn't know how to react, the idea was too good to be true. In her head she'd imagined him already getting tired of her, she couldn't help think that way when everyone she knew told her he would. She had even considered running away with Kelvin and yet, here he was talking about building a house for them. He rubbed her cheek and took her hand.

"I'm not going anywhere Anna. At least not without you," he said as if reading her mind.

He looked in her eyes and said, "I will marry you, I don't care what the world says, it will be illegal in their eyes, but it will be legal in our hearts.... I will make you a free woman and my wife."

She looked down, shook her head lightly and said, "I don't want to be too hopeful.... I don't like thinking about the future or making plans for it, my life doesn't have that luxury, I live in the moment."

"And that you should," he said and pulled a small cloth from the basket, "but this is my promise to you." He unwrapped a golden ring with green, yellow and red gemstone's.

"Harry!" She gasped.

"I love you Anna and I want to be there in your every moment."

He smiled and kissed her, then took her hand and pushed the ring on her finger. She was overwhelmed with joy. She had never been so happy and hopeful in her life. Tears ran down her cheeks.

"I love you too Harry," she said followed by a sniffle.

"You make my life perfect Annabel Bilson. The world seems more beautiful with you in it," he said looking deep in her eyes. "I never knew why people went crazy when they were in love until I met you," he added rubbing her cheek endearingly.

She grabbed his neck and kissed him lightly then deeper. He wrapped his arms around her and moved her on his lap so that she straddled him, he traced his fingers on her back softly.

"Sir, if we have to go to that place, we have to leave now," James called from a distance, behind some bushes. Anna moved off Harry swiftly.

"Has he been watching us?"

"No, he's old enough to know not to come close when we suddenly go quiet." He winked.

Anna felt a little embarrassed at the thought of James knowing what they'd be up too when quiet.

They gathered everything and put it back in the carriage, then headed to the surprise place he told her about the night before. They rode for an hour thirty minutes and turned on to a narrow road with dense woods, rode for another thirty minutes and landed on an open land. It took them a few minutes for them to finally see a house ahead.

It was a two-story beautiful house on a vast land. There were a few men working outside the house, both white and black. A mid aged white man stood at the porch looking in their direction. When the carriage stopped, he started toward it. Harry stepped out of the carriage and stretched out his hand to her, she was hesitant to take it.

"It's alright," he said.

"I have no underwear on," she whispered looking embarrassed.

"I like that." He smirked