Chapter 43

"Are you sure she wasn't just using you while planning an escape with Kelvin? I've heard a lot of stories like that," Nick asked after Harry finished telling them the whole story.

They were in Harry's room, Nick sitting on the bed with a glass of brandy. Rose stood by the window with a glass of her own, happy at how quickly the attention had shifted from her to Harry's love affair.

"No, she wasn't, I'm sure of that. She's scared and angry at me and Kelvin seized at the opportunity," Harry said packing his clothes and some essentials.

He pulled a dress from the back of his closet and put it in his suitcase. Rose and Nick looked at him questionably.

"Is that a...."

"Yes, its Anna's dress," Harry interrupted Rose and continued, "she probably didn't bring anything decent when running away, I'm going to bring a few things for her....to make her comfortable when I find her."

They looked at him ruefully. He was mad in love with this woman and non had ever seen him like that.

"I have to find her. Hawkins will soon learn that she's not at his plantation and he's a relentless man, he won't give up until she's caught dead or alive, he'll hurt her to spite me for humiliating him and his daughter."

"Where are you even going to look?" Rose asked.

"Anywhere....everywhere, this is all my fault, if anything happens to her, I'll never be able to forgive myself. I should have broken the engagement before everything got so .....intricate.... And I should have told Anna the truth when we were at Bright Maze Plantation.... perhaps she would have understood and things would be different."

"Wait, did you say Bright Maze Plantation?" Nick asked excitedly.

"Yes, we were there yesterday," Harry replied soberly.

"That's where they're headed...." Nick interjected.

"What?" Harry asked.

"She's going back to Bright Maze Plantation. If while you were there, she spoke to Rosalie, she's definitely headed there."

"Wait, wait, wait, I'm confused why would...."

"They aid runaways, they help slaves escape north. They throw fundraising parties like the one you went to for people helping runaways."

"How do you know so much about it?" Harry asked.

"I'm not as big of an ass as you think I am.... I've helped a few slaves escape using them."

Harry and Rose looked at him skeptically.

"You don't believe me?"

Harry opened and closed his mouth for moment. It was hard to believe him, he just didn't seem like the kind to go to such lengths to save a slave.

"Your reaction the first time you thought me and Anna were together was...." Harry trailed off feeling angry to finish his sentence.

"I was trying to protect you from the mess you'd get into if you were with her....the mess you're in now!"

Harry shook his head disapprovingly and drank his whiskey in on quaff.

"Are you judging me right now?....Do you know what they do to people that help slaves?!" Nick barked. "They make them disappear. I need to have a persona that wouldn't give me away. I'm only telling you this because now I feel like I can trust you considering your situation."

"Well your persona was a little extreme Nicholas. You didn't have to say those awful things to protect your identity! And you should know me well enough that I'd be the last person to tell anybody about what you do! You had a stupid persona and you have the nerve to ask me why I hid my relationship with Anna from you."