Chapter 44

An hour later, Nick looked at Harry's bruised face from the corner of his eye.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I'm fine."

"Mhmm" Nick said and remained quiet for moment.

"They say karma works in mysterious ways," he added mocking Harry.

Harry ignored him.

"I actually believe that we look Like twins right now," he smirked referring to their bruised faces to which his was caused by Harry himself.

"Nick, I'm not in the mood for your humor," Harry said and walked away. He went to the room where he had put Kelvin to rest and gain his consciousness. He walked in and found him sleeping facing the wall. He rolled over when he heard the door close.

"Uh, you are awake." Harry said standing beside his bed.

Kelvin squinted and moved his head up, taking a closer look at Harry's face. After a moment he put his head back and started laughing.

"What....what's funny?" Harry asked.

"I guess I won this fight."

"No, you did not."

"Have you looked at your face?" Kelvin mocked.

"I'm not the one lying in bed right now, I knocked you out."

"You cheated."

"I never cheat in fights," Harry said with a guilty smile.

They both mused for a moment as the memories of them play wrestling when they were children flashed in their heads. Kelvin was a scrawny boy. Harry won all the wrestles, but there were times when Kelvin came close to winning and Harry would cheat.

"Well the truth is I may have cheated in the past...."

"I knew it," Kelvin interjected.

"Not in all the fights though."

Kelvin laughed and winced touching his ribs.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have fought you," Kelvin said after a moment and paused. "I really like Annabel." He added.

"I know," Harry said calmly.

"But she'll never like me as much as she does you."

They both remained quiet for a moment.

"I know you think I'm going to hurt her but...."

"I know you love her," Kelvin interrupted.

"I'd do anything for Annabel," Harry said quietly.

"I know." Kelvin said and continued, "she was desperate and I knew they were not going to let her live after what she had done even with your protection.....I couldn't let her run alone, and I couldn't let her know how badly you were trying to rescue her because I was afraid she would have chosen to stay and got herself killed."

"I thought you were stealing her from me."

"Had she loved me, I would have," Kelvin smirked.

Harry smiled and shook his head.

"You know I can't go back to the plantation with you now. This is my only chance to escape this horrid life," Kelvin said soberly.

"Neither is Anna," Harry said.

"She told you that?"

"No, she's not talking to me yet, and I didn't help my cause by knocking you out," he said sitting on the edge of the bed, "going back is a trap for her."