Chapter 27

Nick stormed in Harry's lounge room. "Do you care explaining to me what's happening?" he asked.

Harry was standing by the open window in his sweat socked white shirt, sipping whisky. He looked at Nick thoughtfully.

"Are you in love with that slave?" Nick asked.

Harry didn't answer for a long time. He knew Anna was in the next room reuniting with Christine and she could hear him.

"Are you?" Nick asked again.

"No," he answered quietly knowing that he was breaking Anna's heart in the other room.

He couldn't trust Nick with the truth yet, or anyone for that matter. He emptied his glass of whiskey in one quaff and rubbed his face. He hoped Anna understood the predicament he was in. He hoped she knew he loved her even though he said he didn't to his friend.

"Would you like a drink?" Harry offered as he poured himself  another glass.

"Then what was that about?" Nick asked ignoring his offer "The...the....hugging and stopping in the middle of the road and..."

"I was just making sure she was okay," Harry interrupted soberly.

He remained as calm as he could be. He didn't want to reveal anything in his tone or expression. "I'd do the same for Christine and Old fella if it came to that."

"Bollocks! You were inches from kissing that woman and exposing yourself to your father Inlaw...."

"He's not my father in law."

"Future father in law! is that what you prefer?!"

Harry opened his mouth but Nick interrupted.

"You know Hawkins is a mad man! You don't want to play such games with him, for her sake and yours...."

"I'm not ...."

"For Christ's sake Harry, learn to keep it in your pants! Not every girl is for you to lavish...."

"Don't you dare speak to me like that Nicholas, you're crossing the line!"

"You are going to get that girl killed....or worse, because death would be an easy way out for her!"

****

"Come on. We've heard enough," Christine whispered, taking Anna away, as Harry and Nick's voices continued rising in angry exchange.

"Why does everyone think you two are together?" Christine asked and continued, "Are you hiding something from me?"

"No," Anna answered promptly. The last thing she wanted was Christine knowing that she slept with Harry after her many warnings about his womanizing. To make things worse he already denied loving her.

"James knew immediately that Dr. Walker couldn't have made arrangements with Mr. Hawkins to take you because he believes that Dr. Walker is in love with you."

"I...I don't understand," Anna stammered as they entered kitchen.

"I mean its obvious that he's smitten by you, the things he does for you...you are young, beautiful.... And vulnerable," Christine said and took both Anna's hands. She looked at her with concern.

"Has he touched you in ways that makes you uncomfortable?"

He had done more than touching.

"No," she said guiltily.