Chapter 2

It's been a couple of months since I woke up in this place. I've spent a lot of time in the study, reading up on everything. I had trouble in the beginning, as the characters in the books looked completely foreign to me. Although, I was able to get through it by having my mother teach me how to read and write during her spare time.

After I was able to pick up a few words, the rest started to come easily. I ended up learning every language that my mother and father knew. I actually found reading to be my favorite activity, but I guess I used to hate it. Why do I think I used to hate reading? It was because of the stares of the maids and butlers when they first saw me reading in the study.

I also learned that the room I woke up in, was my bedroom, so when I learned to write again, I asked my parents to redecorate my room and get rid of the gold and jewels. They were shocked when I asked for this, and even more shocked when I said we can sell the gold and jewels to make up for the expenses of the redecoration....Just what kind of a person was I?

Thankfully, it was done quickly, so now my room looked more comfortable and less gaudy. It apparently helped our finances as well. I had overheard some maids talking about how I don't yell or hit them anymore...it makes me feel very ashamed, so I had some of the money from the sales, used to buy apology gifts for the servants. Along with a note that said I overheard some of them talking, and felt terrible that I used to do that.

The doctor still does his check ups, but now it's once a week. My condition hasn't changed though. My vocal cords are too damaged to do anything at all and if I force it, I'll be in extreme pain.

I'm still waiting for the day I get a familiar. Even if it's not something amazing, so long as I can at least speak a couple words then I'll be happy.

Currently I'm reading a book that talks about the kingdoms of this world. Apparently there are multiple races in the world such as: Human, Demon, Elf, Fairy, Beastman, Vampire, Dark Elf, Mermaid, Giants, Dragons, and then there are monsters. Although, monsters don't technically count as one of the races since most of them don't have much intelligence. Thankfully I haven't heard about any wars going on right now with the races.

When I asked my parents, I learned that father is actually half-vampire, and half-dragon; and my mother is half-demon, and half-fairy. That means I am 1/4 dragon, fairy, demon, and vampire. I wonder which features or traits I inherited from the races. I also learned that my father is a Duke in the human kingdom.

After I read up on each of the races, I moved on to a book that talked about magic. From what I learned from it, everyone has Mana, but not everyone has the aptitude to use the Mana for magic. I'm not sure if I have an aptitude for magic, but my parents do. However, it's not guaranteed that if you have an aptitude for magic, that your children will as well.

There are two ways for a person to find out if they have an aptitude for magic, and that is to either try a spell from each of the magic trees, or to attend a ceremony at the age of 5. Currently I'm 7, but I never attended the ceremony. My parents said that I never had an interest in such things back then, so I declined the ceremony. They say the next ceremony won't be until my 8th birthday, since I was in a coma during the last one when I turned 7.

Here's the list of all magic types:

Common

Fire

Wind

Earth

Water

Uncommon

Lightning

Magma

Mud

Plant

Taming

Ice

Rare

Light

Dark

Summoning

Necro

Poison

Legendary

Weapon

Time

Space

Mind Control

Mythical

Creation

Destruction

These are all the trees of magic types, and then there is one more tree called Neutral Magic. It doesn't have an alignment with any of the other magic types, but since you don't need an affinity for it, it can be used by anybody if you practice hard enough.

I don't think I'll have any of those super powerful magic types, but it won't hurt to try. The only problem I have right now, is that it says I need to speak a phrase to activate the magic. I can't speak though, so it makes things a bit difficult for me. It means I have to learn the rare skill Chantless right away. There aren't many people who can even use Chantless, so there isn't any information in any book about how to learn it.

For now, I guess I should just work on reciting the spell in my mind, starting with common magic types. Then there's the problem with how I would attempt the legendary, and mythical grade magic...There's only information on weapon magic, and no information on the others aside from fairytales. This means my self training is going to take a long time...I'm not sure why I want to train so hard to become stronger, but I just have this strange feeling that something bad will happen to me in the future if I'm not strong enough.

"Sweetheart it's time to go." (Father)

I nodded to my father and got up from my seat in the study. Where are we going you ask? I wanted to see what my father is like, while he is at work. So, I'll be accompanying him today. I suppose I could use some of the time to practice using chantless.