Chapter 13

After the bell rang, we were all guided to the area where we'll be handling our combat training. At the same time we were introduced to the instructor that will be in charge of training us, although I wasn't paying much attention to what was being said. The reason why I wasn't paying attention, was because of a strange presence in the nearby forest that wasn't there yesterday.

Usually you just find monsters in the forest, and this presence is definitely that if a monster, but it felt like it was weak and scared. This deserves investigating, so I snuck away while the instructor was still explaining how things will proceed with the class.

When I entered the forest, heading towards the weak presence, Betzalel emerged from my shadow.

"Milady, are you sure you wish to do this?" (Betzalel)

[Yes. There's something odd about the presence I'm feeling, and I want to see if it's something that we need to worry about.]

"Understood. I'll make sure to defend you, should the need for me arise." (Betzalel)

With Betzalel behind me, we quickly but carefully made our way until I spotted what looked like a small fox. I thought I might have been wrong with what I was feeling, until I saw that the fox's leg was bleeding and had an arrow through it.

So, without waiting for Betzalel to say something, I rushed up to the small animal. At first it was wary of me and looked like it was ready to attack. I don't know if this animal can read the common language, so I look over to Betzalel hoping he understands my wish to communicate.

"Understood. Hello young animal. This is my mistress Sophia. There is no need to fear her, as she simply wishes to help your injury." (Betzalel)

The small fox looked between Betzalel and myself, before it stopped snarling at me and lied back on its side.

I didn't want to hurt it by pulling the arrow out, so I concentrated my mana on the arrow stuck in it's leg. By focusing my attention on the arrow, I was able to better use my space magic to warp the arrow out of the animals leg.

Since I couldn't use healing spells, I used my ice magic as a substitute to seal the wound temporarily. Picking it up, gently and slowly, I turn to face Betzalel.

[Betzalel is there anything we can do to help it? It's a monster so I wouldn't be able to casually bring it on campus without setting off the alarm.]

"Well Milady Sophia, since it is a monster, perhaps she may be willing to enter a contract with you. If a contract is formed, then she will not only be healed completely, but will also receive a large boost in power." (Betzalel)

[But the familiar contract has to be agreed upon by both sides right?]

"Milady, it seems you don't understand what this creature is. It's a Fox Spirit, and the fact that it has allowed you to lift it's body in your arms, means that it is willing to contract with you. Even fox spirits acquired through taming magic don't allow the owner to hold them." (Betzalel)

I looked down at the small fox in my arms, and it looked back up at me. I set it on the ground and sat down in front of it.

[Do I do the same thing I did back when I contracted you Betzalel?]

"The spirit fox is recorded as a beast-class creature. So you'll have to give it a name and some of your blood for the contract to form." (Betzalel)

Just like Betzalel, I want to give it a strong name, and from the research I did on this world, there's been no mention of a certain fox God from Japanese mythology. However, there's also different classifications of fox spirits in the mythology, so I'd like the name to match with it's attribute.

[Betzalel? Do fox spirits have an attribute classification?]

"Yes they do milady. However, their attribute does not come to light until they have reached adulthood. This spirit is still a child, in the eyes of its kind, so there isn't a way for us to find out until it's matured." (Betzalel)

I see...

[Alright...I've decided. I'll name you Inari. Inari, my name is Sophia Bella Donna Barthol...please form a contract with me.]

Using my weapon magic I summon an ethereal dagger, and make a cut on the palm of my hand.

Holding my hand out, palm up, to Inari. Leaning forward, she licked up the blood that spilt from the cut. As she licked my blood, her body started to glow like it did for Betzalel. At the same time, I felt the same burning sensation on my skin, except this time it was on my calf. When I looked, I saw a small drawing of a fox being etched into my skin and the name Inari was inside the fox's tail.

"Thank you for making me mistress Sophia! I swear on this powerful name, as well as my heart and soul, that I'll always serve you!" (Inari)

The voice of a young girl resounded in my head, and when I looked back to Inari, her fur was silver, with golden tips. Her eyes were a deep green, almost like emeralds. When she got up from where she sat, her body turned to smoke and wrapped around my neck, turning into a scarf.

The scarf felt warm and cozy, and by the time I noticed it, multiple pieces of thread had entered my neck. It tickled, and hurt, but felt soothing all at the same time.

"Milady, it seems that she is healing the damage to your throat!" (Betzalel)

My...throat? Does this mean...I'll finally be able to talk to people instead of having everything written out for people?