Chapter 14

(A/N: Speaking parts that are in italics are happening through telepathy.)

I wasn't sure how long Inari would take with my throat, so I had Betzalel carry me back to the campus. I would have walked myself, but my calf still hurts from having my new contract mark etched into my skin. I haven't tried talking yet, as I want to wait until I'm back in my room before doing so.

However, we had to stop off at my combat class first, so Betzalel was hurrying as fast as he can with me on his back.

Why don't I use my warp spell to get there? Space magic is very complicated, and teleporting an object takes a lot of focus. How hard I have to focus depends on how large the object is. Also, when it comes to living organisms, I'm only able to teleport a few plants and/or small animals so far...and I can only do that for up to 40 yards max.

"Mistress, the repairs to your vocal cords will take a bit of time, but you'll be able to talk now...as long as you use as few words as possible. However, I should be done by tonight." (Inari)

"Thank you Inari...it'll be nice to finally talk again after so many years." (Sophia)

On the way back to the school, I was asking how Inari ended up injured where she was. Turns out there's a group of people called taming poachers. They forcefully capture young monsters that are in high demand, use taming magic on them, then pass the ownership to rich noble families. What a disgusting business venture.

While I chatted with Inari about her species, and how they live, Betzalel had reached the school. There looked to be students about to head into the forest, so he set me down on the ground and disappeared into my shadow. I don't really mind if people learn of him, but it's always good to be safe.

"Huh? Miss Sophia? What are you doing in the forest already?" (Male instructor)

Crap. I was hoping I'd be able to sneak into the group and let be unnoticed, but it doesn't look like that'll work. I also don't want to try talking yet, in case that affects the healing process, so I'll have to stick with my writing spell for now.

[I felt something in the forest, so I left to investigate.]

"Felt something? Look you can't go wandering off on your own!" (Male Instructor)

[I left a while ago though.]

"Huh!? Why did nobody let me know!!" (Male Instructor)

"Mr. Fairday, I did see her leave but didn't say anything since I had seen how well she did at the entrance exam and knew she could handle herself." (Derrick)

"That doesn't excuse her from skipping class! You better have a good explanation young lady!" (Male Instructor -> Fairday)

"Inari is it possible to show a part of yourself and keep healing my throat?" (Sophia)

"Mistress I can't show myself without stopping the healing process." (Inari)

I see...and I doubt that they would so easily believe me if I said the scarf around my neck was my new familiar.

"And another thing, that scarf of yours is breaking the school dress code, so remove it." (Fairday)

He moved his hand towards Inari. When his hand got close enough, I grasped his wrist and threw him to the ground, with his arm behind his back, and my knee between his shoulder blades.

"No.....touch....." (Sophia)

I talked! I mean it was a threat, but I really and truly spoke! Ahhh! I feel amazing right now!

Letting go of the instructors arm, I walked to the students and stood in the line with them and waited for the instructor to continue whatever he was going to say. To be honest though, I didn't listen to a word he said because I was still too excited by the fact that I actually said something. The rest of the class had gone by in a bit of a blur, and before I realized it, I was already in the library doing my language studies.

I didn't want to try speaking the languages yet until my throat was fully healed, so I just continued to learn the written language. Besides, it would be nice to know how to read another language, in case I visit that country in the future.

"Mistress, we are being watched." (Inari)

"Yes, I know. They aren't showing any hostility though, so we'll leave them be for now. Betzalel will protect us if a fight breaks out, so don't worry too much about them Inari." (Sophia)

"Yes mistress, as you command." (Inari)

"Also, can you stop calling me mistress? Just call me Sophia please." (Sophia)

Although before she could say anything back, one of the people who are watching us, started moving position. Then another one moved.

They were trying to act casual, but are actually closing in on my current position. They still aren't showing their hostility towards me though, so perhaps it's just some people that are curious about me. For now I need to keep my guard up...something I'm not used to doing during my reading time.

"Perhaps we should turn in and go to the dorm room about now." (Sophia)

Collecting my study materials in my spatial storage, I stood up from my seat and made my way over to exit the library. However, as I made my move. The people around me started to rush to my location, with one of them showing hostility.

"Stop there!" (???)

With my hand on the library door, I turned my head to look behind me. Behind me were a group of boys that I didn't recognize at all.

[May I help you?]

"Yeah, we have someone who wants to meet you. They asked us to come and escort you to them." (???)

[Sorry, I don't follow people I don't know. Also, if they want to see me then they can come see me themselves.]

"We were asked to bring you, and we will NOT fail our task. Get her guys." (???)

After he said that, everyone started showing their hostility as they drew their weapons and pointed them at me.

"Betzalel." (Sophia)

Out of my shadow came Betzalel, wearing full armor and his large sword ready to strike down the boys before me.

"You called milady?" (Betzalel)

[Take them down...but make sure to leave them all alive so I can probe them for information on who gave them this stupid mission.]

"Understood milady." (Betzalel)

"What about me mistress Sophia?" (Inari)

"For now, I want you to remain as you are. We can't show all our cards from the beginning." (Sophia)

"Aww, okay." (Inari)

The boys charged in with their weapons ready, but their form was too sloppy so I doubt these guys were well trained in combat. Perhaps they are just looking down on me because I am a female, or maybe they really are amateurs at fighting.