Chapter 8

A lot of crazy things happened yesterday. I obliterated a ritual orb, met the capture target that gives me the most brutal death, got engaged, then contracted a new familiar. I wasn't that tired physically, but I was mentally exhausted.

Waking up early in the morning, I did my morning stretches. As I was doing my stretches, Betzalel emerged from the shadows once again.

"Good morning milady. You are awake early." (Betzalel)

[Well, there's an old saying...the early bird gets the worm.]

"I see. Would you like to begin your training?" (Betzalel)

[In a moment. We've gotta stop by the kitchen to get some food to eat before and after. It's not good to exercise on an empty stomach.]

"Should I accompany you?" (Betzalel)

[Yes. People will be learning about our contract today, so it might be good to get the servants acquainted with you earlier.]

Finishing my stretches, I grab the wooden practice sword I keep near my door and exit my bedroom. On my way to the kitchen, one of the maids spotted me with Betzalel and screamed, waking up everyone in the mansion.

"Milady....What do we do now?" (Betzalel)

[Well....looks like our training will be delayed. We should go and explain the situation. Just stay close to me.]

"Understood milady." (Betzalel)

In the end, the training session was cancelled completely, as we had to spend the whole morning calming down the servants and introducing him to my parents.

"When did you contract with him sweetie?" (Mom)

[Last night.]

"Yes, I took an interest in milady's effort to grow stronger through her training and wished to serve under her. She has granted me with the powerful name of Betzalel." (Betzalel)

[He's a Shadow Warrior.]

"A Shadow Warrior? That's a truly impressive, and incredibly rare familiar. The odds of seeing a Shadow Warrior are low, and the odds of one contracting with someone is even lower." (Dad)

"Many of my kind took an interest in her, so we had to hold a grand duel to decide who would earn the right to serve beside milady. I came out of it victorious, and was lucky enough to be accepted by milady Sophia." (Betzalel)

My father, being the head of the magic research department, kept asking my familiar questions about his species. I got a bit bored and started playing around with my ice magic, making little ice sculptures of different animals. I always loved animals, so they came out looking very detailed since I would read books about them in my old world.

"Oh sweetie these are beautiful! I didn't know you could use ice magic for something like this!" (Mom)

[Huh? Really? I just thought that if magic can create ice, then why not have it create a shape I desire, like a sculpture.]

Wait...this pattern feels familiar...

"Princess! Would you mind writing a report on how you did that, so my department can do some more research on ice magic?" (Dad)

Crap...more writing. I even improved my writing spell to be hands-free so I wouldn't have to actually write anything anymore. I was upset to be doing more writing...but I was even more upset that they didn't think about doing this kind of thing with magic on their own.

And that's how I ended up spending most of the day, having to skip my daily training. Thankfully, people had grown to be more used to Betzalel being around the mansion, and I was able to spend the next few years training in combat with him. I even did some magic training in secret with Betzalel watching over me of course, just in case my magic went out of control and he needed to step in to keep the damage to a minimum.

The prince, my fiance, would also regularly visit me, occasionally joining in during my combat training. He hasn't won a single match against me though, which is understandable since he wasn't even supposed to start his weapons training until he was 11 years old, and I had started it when I was about 7 years old.

------6 Years Later------

I'm now 14 years old, and the game is now going to start. That's right, I'll be attending Starfall Academy. Meeting the rest of the capture targets will be unavoidable while I'm at school, but I guess being unable to speak will help me avoid them better. When I thought about me being mute helping me avoid the capture targets, I gave up on hoping for another familiar that can recover my vocal cords.

I already have a familiar, so why hasn't he helped? That's because Betzalel is a warrior-class familiar. He's trained to do battle, not to heal the injured. There wasn't information about this kind of thing in the books I read, but I was informed about this when I had asked Betzalel if he could do anything to fix my voice.

Also, I learned that most of the people in this world aren't big fans of people with mixed blood. Meaning the fact that I was a mixed breed was kept as a secret, and my family had only put down in the records that I'm a vampire, which helps since I do have to drink blood now and then. What's Betzalel's opinion on the matter? He doesn't really care one way or another, so him and I were able to grow closer as friends and partners.

Now, when we are not entertaining guests, he talks casually and addresses me by my first name. However, whenever someone visits, like the royal family or other noble families, he refers to me as milady. He's helped me a lot with my training, and I've grown enough so that whenever we have a duel, we now use real weapons.

Yes it may sound dangerous, but I've been able to keep up with his movements thanks to my constant daily training. I usually lose our duels though, since he has more combat experience over me. But! There are times when I'm able to best him, although it doesn't happen that often.

At the moment I'm having my breakfast that consists of bacon, eggs, and sausage. Although, since I don't really want to go near that school, I'm trying to waste as much time as possible. However, my father isn't going to let me be late.

"Princess, hurry or you'll be late for school." (Dad)

Since I know father won't let me stay home, nor will my mother, I finished my breakfast and made sure my school uniform was in order.

We aren't allowed to alter the uniform in any big way, so I just chose to tie my hair back with a blue ribbon. The blue ribbon in my orange hair reminds me of a sunset, so I love wearing it.

"Have fun at school sweetie!" (Mom)

I waved goodbye to my mother and got in the car outside with my father. Betzalel doesn't really like vehicles so he goes into my shadow whenever we get into one. However, if there's danger nearby he'll always come out to help.