Red Watch

I rounded the corner towards the canteen, spotting Sam and Dodger sitting inside. Both of them were talking as they occasionally sipped from two steaming hot mugs. They were readily dressed in their standard issue, navy blue uniforms, their t-shirts framed their athletic bodies and were tucked into their belted up pants of the same colour. Both men had dark hair, Dodger's a little longer, and messier than Sam's, and with a similar rugged appearance, they could have passed for brothers to people who didn't know them. Sam being a few years older though, added a dash of maturity to his looks. Dodger, on the other hand, was one of those people that didn't even look as old as he was. Only just moving into his late thirties, he had such a strong, youthful personality, that he could pass for someone a good few years younger.

I pushed the door open, both looking up at me as I entered. Sam abandoned the newspaper that he had just been glancing at, then rubbed the bridge of his nose, his hazel eyes flicking back to Dodger, who was practically bouncing with his usual energy.

"Hey, Rebel? You're in for Friday night, right?" Dodger called across the room, his grey eyes zoning in on me, glinting with the familiar mischief that he had when he was planning something.

"What's Friday night?" I asked, walking to the kitchen counter, picking up an apple, and tossing it in the air, then catching it again.

"You just had to ask." Sam sighed in exasperation.

I laughed, taking a seat opposite them, watching him lean back and wave his hand through the air, signalling the beginning of Dodger's explanation.

"Oh lighten up Sammy," He said playfully, rising to his feet and perching on the edge of the table. "I have this mate, he's opening a new club, and I can get us all in for free on the opening night, what do you reckon?"

I froze, halfway through chewing my bite of apple. My eyes locked with Sam's who then proceeded to arch his eyebrows, and share a knowing look with me. We both knew all too well how Dodger's plans could turn out.

"Oh come on. I promise this is legit!" He said, rolling his eyes skywards at the silent scrutiny.

"Legit?" I asked, swallowing my apple. "So, it won't be like the time we were 'invited' to the restaurant event, and ended up having to go in as cater waiters?"

"Or the pub sing-a-long night, where we ended up being down as the booked strippers?" Sam chipped in.

Dodger scratched at the top of his head, running his fingers through his hair and shrugging slightly.

"Okay, I get the reason you might be a little bit skeptical. But I promise, it's all above board."

Just then, the door opened again, and in walked Cain and Jax. Their conversation dying out as they saw us.

"Ah, lads! You two'll come won't you?"

"What's this?" Cain asked, looking from me to Sam.

"Another Dodger grand event." Sam chipped in.

Jax and Cain's faces instantly mirrored the same expressions of mine and Sam's moments ago.

"Is this going to be like the time there was the Halloween party in the woods, and you took us to the wrong woods?" Jax asked.

"Bloody hell, are you lot ever going to let that go?" Dodger replied dramatically.

As a rumble of laughter echoed around the room, Jax moved forwards, the sun hitting him as he passed the window, casting his brown hair in a golden light.

"Just face it Dodge, you don't have the best track record with these events of yours." Cain added, moving to take a seat next to Sam, who handed him the paper.