Determination

My heart seized, fear slamming me in the chest, I couldn't lose her. I refused to lose her. I was growing weaker the longer that I stayed underwater, my body screaming for air, but I couldn't leave her. I caught sight of the water level in the rear of the car, the back was almost full, but there was an air pocket that was fading fast. Clinging to the door, I swam inside, pushing my torso between the seats, my head coming up from beneath the water. I took a few quick breaths, feeling my brain getting clearer as oxygen flooded back. I took one last gulp, then pushed back, swimming out of the car as fast as I could, and diving down deeper. There was a small glimmer ahead, and the closer I got, the clearer it became. A reflective strip on her uniform was catching the light from the car. I pushed myself harder, water rushing in my ears and my muscles aching with the strength I was using to push against the current. She was swimming rapidly, trying to pull her way back to the surface, but failing as she grew weaker before my eyes. The car creaked louder as it followed my progress through the water, and I was finally within reach of her. She looked my way at the sound, and stretched her arm towards me, I kicked my legs harder, stretching as far as I could, and finally managed to close my hand around her wrist. Her eyes were bulging as she gestured frantically toward herself, telling me that she needed air. I nodded, pulling her towards me, and into my arms, overwhelmed with relief that I had her in my grasp again. I motioned to her to look in my eyes, I kept treading water to keep us floating, whilst I leant in, pressing my mouth to hers. She understood immediately, parting her lips and allowing me to pass air to her.

As we parted, I was struck by an idea, it would still be risky, but it was our best shot. Pulling her with me, I gripped the wing mirror, using it as leverage to get higher out of the water. Rosie got the hint, and used her arm to reach higher, grabbing the rear door handle and dragging us along the car. Together we got to the end of the car, the current's drag getting weaker as we neared the surface. Both of us were getting weaker, our movements slowing, my vision blurring. The only thing that was strong, was the grip that I maintained on Rosie's wrist. Suddenly there were bubbles up ahead, and Will and Dodger appeared, swimming towards us. They had a hose line clutched in their hands with air streaming out of it, which they handed to us, letting us both take a long drag, whilst they hooked their arms under us and began hauling us to the surface.

"Thanks." I panted, the moment that we were back above the water.

"Don't mention it." Will smiled, clapping a hand on my back, whilst Dodger nodded in agreement.

We swam to the ladder that was against the bank for us to get back to the road. I still had hold of Rosie, not wanting to let go just yet, even though we were now safely on our way out of the water. I'd come so close to losing her, and that frightened me more than anything.

"Are you both okay?" Alex asked, the moment that our feet hit the tarmac.

"Yeah, Sub, we're good." Rosie answered.

"Good."

"How's the driver? And the people from the other car?" I chimed in.

"No serious injuries in the other car. A few bruises. The driver you two managed to get out has a sprained ankle and a minor bump on the head, she'll be fine. Luckily." Alex informed us.

Me and Rosie sighed with relief, it was reassuring to know that they were all okay.

"Go get checked over, I want a medical all clear." He said, with a tender pat on the arm, inclining his head behind him where an ambulance stood on standby.

Rosie began walking towards it, her hand finally leaving my grasp. I was about to follow after her when Alex stopped me.

"I want a word with you in my office when we get back Firefighter Knight."