Realisation

Things were still a little awkward between me and Lacey as we worked through a shout together the next day. The fact that we remained a man down meant that more often than not, we were having to work even closer together, and that was made harder by the very obvious feelings that sparked between us. It was as though we'd forgotten how to communicate, as though every word that we would say to each other under normal circumstances, suddenly held too much meaning to be able to speak. And I hated it. I was missing her so badly, sitting awake at night recalling the sound of her laugh, the teasing words that she'd throw my way as we messed about at work, or off shift. I missed her touch, her kiss, the way that she bit her lip whenever she was about to be inappropriately snarky or frisky when around the others. I felt each day passing in slow motion and dull repetition, the light that could only come from being with my soulmate was out of my reach, condemning me to hour upon hour of constant internal battling, and struggling to see the dawn when there was only darkness without her.

Returning to base, we were quick to flee in opposite directions, and honestly, at this point I was unsure whether it was to avoid the strong temptations that still lingered, or because we just didn't know how to be around each other. The others had picked up on something going on, but thankfully hadn't brought it up. I wasn't sure how that would have gone down, but I knew that having a bunch of other people involved was going to do anything but be helpful.

The bell rang for the second shout of the day, just after dinner. It was being handled by Shaxbury, but they'd summoned an extra appliance for back up, meaning that Alex and half of the Watch jumped aboard, leaving the rest of us behind. I hated watching them go, it was always a horrible thought that we wouldn't be there if things went wrong, especially lately, and it was made even worse by the fact that Lacey went with them. I knew that I was going to feel sick until they returned, and so I decided to go and keep myself busy in the gym.

Heading into the locker room, I was about to pull out my gym bag when a small package tumbled off the top, hitting the floor with a soft thud. Bending to pick it up, I recognised it as the parcel that arrived two days ago for Dodger. I'd meant to drop it round to Em after my shift, but it had been a mental day, and it slipped my mind. I tapped the package against my palm in thought. Em's place was only the other side of the high street, about a five minute walk, I could cut that in half if I drove. Given that we were undermanned, there wasn't going to be any new shouts that we could attend before the others returned. Forgetting the gym workout I was going to settle for, I dashed out of the door, sliding down the pole and swinging round the office door.

Sam looked up the moment that I entered, casually finishing off the page of the newspaper that he was reading through.

"Hey, I'm gonna dash to Em's real quick okay. Just got to give her something." I explained, holding up the package.

He glanced at it, saddening as he made out Dodger's name on the front.

"Sure, I'll call you if we need you."

I nodded in agreement and rushed out the door, unlocking my car as I crossed the lot at speed.

Sitting in Em's living room a few minutes later, she was holding the little personalised onesie that had been inside the package, clutching it closely as she was overcome by emotions at the last gift that Dodger had bought.

"Trust him." She finally said, letting out a tearful chuckle as she held it up.

It was tiny, clearly made for a newborn, the soft fabric was in a bright red, and emblazoned on the back where the letters LFB, for London Fire Brigade, and as she turned it around, I laughed with her. The front being covered by the words: Red Watch Rookie.