Sparks

My mind was racing a million miles a second as our lips moved together. I knew that I should pull back, both of us were emotional, we'd both had a rough day, and were seeking support from each other. It wasn't right, and yet it felt so good. Her sweet perfume was surrounding me, and the way that her lips moved with mine caused every fibre of my body to sing with delight. I deepened the kiss without even thinking, my tongue invading her mouth and savouring her taste, whilst I held her impossibly close, feeling the warmth of her toned body. I pressed her against the wall, feeling her hands reaching under my shirt. As if woken from a dream, the sensation of her soft fingertips against my heated skin, caused me to pull back, breathing heavily and gazing at her, noticing the need and hunger in those silvery eyes.

"I'm sorry." I panted, bracing one arm on the wall as I continued to calm myself, breathing in the chilled night air, watching her chest rise and fall.

"No, please, I'm the one who's sorry. I don't know what I was thinking." She explained hurriedly, diverting her eyes to the ground, and lifting a hand to her forehead, shielding herself from my gaze.

I took hold of her wrist, pulling it away from her beautiful face, then lifted a hand to tip her chin upwards, managing to get her to look me in the eye.

"Don't be sorry, it wasn't just you."

She stared back at me, I felt as though I was falling into those magical eyes, rooted to the spot, the air crackling with electricity around us, whilst I fought to resist the urge to kiss her again. She let out a small laugh, breaking the tension and shaking her head.

"We're a bit of a wreck tonight huh?" She sighed.

I nodded, resting my forehead against hers and feeling her raise a hand to rest it on my chest.

"I think we can excuse it this time." I muttered gently.

I had no idea how long we stayed there like that. It could have been seconds, or minutes, I was unable to focus on anything other than how good it felt to be so close to her. When I finally placed a kiss to the top of her head, and pushed away from her, I felt cold and incomplete, like my body had tasted something so wonderful, that it now needed it to feel whole. I hated that I felt that way, especially when I had to remind myself that I needed to remain in control of this out of bounds desire.

"Let's get you into a cab and off home." I said, turning towards the road, and casting a searching glance up and down. There were several cabs parked up nearby, as usual for this area, given that the bars often had people trickling out of them at all hours, drunk and needing rides home. I walked with her, getting her settled into one of them and closing the door as she gave the driver her address.

"Do you want to share?" She asked through the open window.

"No, it's cool, I'll walk, it's not too far, and I could use the air."

She gave me a small, half smile, and nodded in acceptance of my decision.

"Night Bane."

I took a step back as the driver began to pull away.

"Goodnight Lacey."

The mood was still sombre at the station the next day. The morning was spent much quieter than usual, something that was common following a death on a shout. By afternoon, there still hadn't been a single call out, and we'd all found different things to do to keep ourselves occupied. I'd just finished cleaning out the appliance, and fancied some fresh air, so began walking upstairs to the rooftop garden.

Stepping through the doors, I saw that I wasn't the only one who'd decided to retreat out here.

"Mind if I join you?" I called out, casting an eye up ahead to where Dodger stood, leaning against the wall, overlooking the town below.