Trapped

The ground was completely covered in rubble and scaffolding, it seemed endless. We carefully climbed over the wreckage, checking everywhere for signs of life, trying to go as fast as we could, whilst the rest of the site that remained standing, hung dangerously over our heads. I followed Sam over another pile of debris, scanning the area for anything that looked like it could be obscuring one of the missing people.

"What the hell could have caused this?" Jax muttered behind me.

I shrugged, pausing as I caught sight of a large chunk of wood with a dark red bloodstain across the side.

"Improperly fixed scaffolding." I suggested, moving the wood to make sure there was no one trapped beneath it.

"To have brought half the building down with it, I'm thinking more along the lines of recycled materials." Sam called back, coming to a stop.

I slowed behind him, following his gaze and feeling that familiar pang as I saw the body half buried at his feet. The man was covered in grey dust, his high vis jacket barely even visible. His hard hat was nowhere to be seen and blood covered most of his face. Sam crouched down, reaching out a hand to check for a pulse.

"He's gone. Mark it and keep going." He said sombrely, trudging on further.

We continued on, having to duck down as more of the site collapsed, narrowly missing the three of us.

"Welfare check, everyone report." Alex's voice came across the radio, as me, Sam and Jax straightened back up.

I turned between Sam and Jax, blowing out a relieved breath as we eyed the new collection of debris that had fallen almost on top of us.

"Tate, Knight and Jackson checking in. Was a close one, but all good Sub." Sam replied.

We waited for confirmation of the other's safety, unease and concern bubbling up as I waited to hear that they were all okay.

"Olsen, Lee and Shaw checking in," I heard Dodger's voice ring out, I could hear the relief in his tone, and guessed that they too had a close call from their position. "A little dustier than before, but we're good Sub." He added with an air of sarcasm.

Seconds passed in silence, and I knew who we were waiting for. Panic began to claw up my throat and threatened to overwhelm me. My eyes met Sam's, and I felt Jax's hand on my shoulder, whilst I silently pleaded for the sound of her voice, just to know that they were okay.

"Firefighter Rose and Firefighter Molton, come in please." Alex ordered firmly.

A rush of static sounded over the line whilst we waited with baited breath.

"Rosie? Will? Report!"

Still nothing.

"Does anyone have a visual?" He asked, concern now overpowering the authority in his voice.

We looked around us, desperately seeking some visual of our missing colleagues. I felt sick with worry. I needed her to be okay. It felt like my heart was in freefall, I wanted to toss aside every piece of rubble until I got to her. A crackle came across the radio, followed by the best sound I think I'd ever heard:

"Rose and Molton checking in." Her voice trembled just a tad, but the sound brought visible and audible relief as the three of us sighed with gratitude. "Another collapse over here, Sub, interfered with the radio, but we're good."

My heart continued to throw itself against my chest, and I knew I wouldn't be able to relax until I saw her, until I held her. But for now, we had a job to do, and I allowed myself to push through the unease, reassuring myself that she was safe, by replaying her voice in my head and counting down the time until I'd see her for myself.