Through the Floor

I crept around the corner, peering down at the floor below, where Pixie stood, washing the appliance and humming to herself. It had been a hectic day so far, and we'd only been back for about half an hour, but 'project surprise' was underway, and only a few minutes from touchdown. Keeping as quiet as I could, I tiptoed back towards the kitchen, swinging the door open and joining the others grouped around the table.

"Alright, she's still downstairs. How're we doing?"

"Presents are all set." Cain said, piling a bundle of wrapped gifts onto the table.

"Coming through!" Heidi announced, parting the crowd as she walked forward with a huge, beautiful, pastel coloured, pixie themed, birthday cake.

"Right, places. I'll go call her up." I grinned, darting back towards the door, hearing everyone scrambling into place behind me.

Back out on the landing, I crossed to the edge and shouted down to her:

"Hey Pix?"

She turned around, her expression immediately turning thunderous.

"Heidi needs a hand in the kitchen, can you come up?"

She threw the sponge from her hand, leaving it to land on the back step of the appliance.

"Are you kidding me?" She shouted. "You guys all ditched me to finish up here, you help her!"

I had to fight down a laugh at the fury in her voice, she always did look remarkably cute when she was angry. We'd let her believe that we'd forgotten all day long, and it appeared to have done the trick.

"I can't, we're having a competition in the gym. Just get up here, please. I'll owe you one."

"Rebel I-"

"Thanks!" I cut her off, hastening back to the kitchen, and running inside, switching the lights off as I ran. "She's coming."

We could hear her footsteps getting nearer, the sound of her muttering under her breath becoming louder, until the door thudded open:

"What the-" She started.

We held our positions, as she stepped into the room, the click of the lightswitch being our signal to leap out, and shout:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Her responding yelp, was soon smothered into silence as we barged her and swept her up into a group hug.

"You assholes." She sobbed, getting teary when we released her and she saw the cake and gifts. "I thought you'd forgotten."

"We know. Was sort of the point." Dodger added sarcastically from the side, patting her affectionately on the shoulder.

She threw him a scathing look, before giving in and laughing as he pulled her into a hug.

Sitting at the table, she tore into the presents, the stack of wrapping paper falling to the floor as the tower of gifts got taller. With a quick birthday toast, we all got comfortable, slicing the cake and digging in.

"What are you and Johnny doing to celebrate?" I asked, taking a bite of the cake, a strong and delicious lemon tang hitting my tongue in an instant.

"Nothing. Not until the weekend anyway." She sighed, sounding disheartened. "He's on doubles until then.

"Well, I'm sure he's got something up his sleeve for then." I smiled.

"Who we talking about?" Will chimed in, coming up behind us and grabbing another slice of cake.