Stuck

Leaping out of the truck, we regrouped on the grassy field under the dark sky. Bright lights flashed all around us, music blaring from every angle, its heavy thumping vibrating through my chest, whilst people screamed with joy and fear from the various rides. I looked up at the one in front of us, spotting the situation that we were here to handle. A ferris wheel had come to a stop, mid circuit, leaving people stranded in their seats, rocking back and forth in the wind.

"Sam, Will, check the machinery, see if you can find a way to start it up again.If not, then set up for a manual function." Alex ordered.

They both moved around the steps, letting the ride owner show them the way to the controls.

"Rebel, get up there and keep them calm." He added, nodding towards the ladder truck, turning away to mumble quietly: "One wrong move up there and we'll have bodies dropping from the sky."

Nodding to Cain, we rushed to the appliance and got set up, once the ladder was in position, I scaled it as quick as I could, the distressed sounds of the stranded passengers getting louder with every step.The wind picked up, the higher I climbed. Some of the passengers screamed out to me, pleading for help, and asking me to get them back down to the ground. A few attempted to lean forward, presumably to attempt to aid the ride in moving again. I called out to them, reassuring them that we would get them all down soon. As I got closer though, my attention immediately focused on the car nearest me, a man and woman were seated inside. Both appeared to be somewhere in their mid to late thirties, and judging from the bickering, they were a couple.

"... Don't be so stupid Zo." The man snapped, turning away from her, and looking out to me.

"I'm not being stupid. I'm being sensible." She argued back, crossing her arms and fixing him with a scathing glare.

"Okay everyone, please stay as still, and as calm, as you can." I called out to them, coming to a halt on the ladder, and scanning the scene before me. "Sir, please stay as still as possible." I said firmly when the man inside began moving around, jostling the cart, causing it to tilt and creak loudly, agitating the woman, and the other passengers earby.

"You've got to get us down, I've been stuck up here for long enough." He shouted angrily, lurching to the side, stretching an arm out over the side.

"Mitch, no." She pleaded urgently, trying to grab hold of him as the cart swung backwards, almost laying them down.

"No!" I said sharply, watching the cart slowly straighten up again, whilst scanning the ground to see how the others were getting on. "Please just remain still, Sir."

"And what does staying still get us?" He asked bitterly, his knuckles whitening as he gripped the safety rail tightly, breathing slightly heavier as the swinging slowed.

I couldn't believe the attitude of the man in front of me. I'd dealt with many instances where people acted without thinking, but this man wasn't just toying with his own safety, he was risking other people's lives. I struggled to keep the venomous tone out of my voice as I forced myself to keep a cool head, and remain professional, urging him to consider his actions carefully, for the sake of him and others on board. As the man turned away from me, to consider sniping with the female passenger, I tilted my head away from them and spoke into my radio.

"Any update on when we can get these guys moving again, Sub?"

"Machinery looks beyond immediate repair. We're already moving on a manual override." Alex replied.

"Got a time estimate?"

"Not yet. Everything okay up there?" He asked, sounding slightly concerned, clearly picking up on the fact that all wasn't perfect.