Knowledge and Ignorance

I followed the delicious smell of gravy through the halls, working my way up to the kitchen, my stomach growling in anticipation of another of Heidi's sumptuous feasts. I spotted Tom lingering around his office, a clipboard clutched in his grasp as usual, and dodged around the corner as quickly as I could, hoping not to be dragged into a last minute task that would keep me from dinner.

I waited out of sight for him to pass, watching him disappear down the hall, nose still in his paperwork, then I dashed up the stairs, the smell of sausages now joining the strong and tantalising scent. I practically ran through the doors into the busy dining area. Everyone else bustling around with drinks and carrying their towering plates of food to the table.

"Dammit." Jax groaned as I arrived, "I was just about to have yours added to my plate."

He winked at me, Will and Cain laughing and moving towards the table. Jax followed after them whilst Heidi sighed.

"I don't think you'd be able to eat another bite after that lot." She said, gesturing at his heap of mash potatoes swimming in dark gravy.

"Oh I can always eat more of your cooking Heids." He called back, devouring a spoonful and closing his eyes, smiling satisfactorily.

"Don't worry Bane, I kept yours safe and warm." She laughed, opening the oven and taking out another plate.

My stomach rumbled and I gratefully accepted the plate, thanking her and joining the others at the table where they were talking about last night's call out.

"I'd like to find the little fuckers and wring their necks." Will snarled, digging into another mouthful.

I dropped into the seat next to Sam, catching Lacey's eye as I sat down and flashing her a small smile.

"I don't know how that would help." Cain chimed in.

"Well I presume that they'd have trouble calling in hoaxes if they'd had their necks wrung." Cassie smiled evilly, much to Will's agreement.

It had been the third hoax call this week, and last night's one almost kept us from a genuine emergency. Thankfully we were able to make it there in time, but they were beginning to grate on all of us. I tuned out the discussion, my focus being on Lacey, sitting opposite and listening to the others, injecting her thoughts now and again, unaware of my concentration lingering on her, and my mind being on the events of our date a few nights before.

"... What do you think, Rebel?"

The sound of my name brought me back to the room and the conversation, and the sets of eyes now on me, waiting for my answer.

"Sorry, what?"

I heard Lacey laughing quietly at my obliviousness, clearly picking up on my momentary loss of concentration.

"Where'd you go there bro?" Dodger asked, smirking ear to ear.

I shot him a cold glare and he backed down with a cocky grin, taking a drink from his glass.

It was a few hours later, whilst cleaning down the appliances, that Dodger cornered me. Lowering his voice so that the others couldn't hear him:

"I know what's going on."

I continued cleaning the back of the truck, not even looking up as I answered, figuring this was another of his wind ups.

"With what?"

"With you and Rosie."

I froze, turning to face him.

"How?"