What We Do For Family

I got out of the car, looking up at the small and cosy house where I'd grown up. This place brought back so many memories. Good and bad. The outside hadn't changed a heck of a lot over the years. The gravel drive was still lined by sweet smelling plants, and lush green lawn. A tall oak tree stood on the other side of the small frog pond and a blossom tree hung over the roof, its small flowers dropping like snow on the roof.

I didn't knock as we reached the door, instead, just pushed it open, and stepped inside, glancing back at Lacey.

"Now is the time to run if you don't wanna do this." I warned her.

Right at that moment, my father's head poked around the corner of the kitchen up ahead, and Lacey laughed under her breath:

"Damn, too late now."

Just like that, my nerves over how this would go, began to fade. Lacey was as much my family as my father and Marya.

"Bane!" My father called as he approached, his arms outstretched.

I pushed the door closed and gave him a hug.

"Good to see you dad." I said with a smile as I let him go.

It was always good to see him. Even though, sadly, it was rare to have time to come and see him as often as I wanted. With my shifts, it was hard to fit in a regular time to visit, but still I made it here as often as I could, and it was always reassuring to see the old man looking just as healthy and happy as always. He was a vibrant man in his early sixties. Salt and pepper hair cut short, and dark brown eyes which currently were scanning over Lacey, drinking in her appearance.

"Dad, this is Lacey. Lacey, this is my father, Jeff Knight."

"Well aren't you a beautiful young lady." He said happily, moving to hug her too.

She beamed at him and returned his hug.

"That's quite the compliment from a handsome gentleman like yourself." She said as they broke apart.

My father's laugh echoed in the hall as he looked back at me.

"I can see why you like her."

"Dad, Can you pl-"

"Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day that you brought a girl to dinner." Marya's voice chimed in from the stairs.

"The day is still young, keep that up and you won't make it to dinner." I smirked, hearing Lacey's laugh behind me, and my father's sigh.

"You two, behave when we have a guest," He warned, before directing his attention to Lacey. "I'm sorry, whenever these two are together, it's like they revert back to childhood."

Marya joined us in the hall, drawing nearer, her focus wandering between us.

"Not an issue though is it dad. I was always a little angel." She said sweetly, giving him a one armed hug.

"An angel? Ha! There was no room for a halo with those horns Mari."

At this point, Lacey had leant back against the wall, observing the banter with a bright smile of interested joy.

"Oh my god, I'm getting too old for this." My dad sighed, turning away and wandering off back towards the kitchen.

Chuckling at his retreating back, me and Mari looked to one another and smiled. She stepped forwards and I opened my arms, enveloping her in them as she strolled into my embrace, clutching me tightly as I softly swayed side to side.

"You all good Sis?" I whispered.

She nodded her head and then withdrew.

"I'm glad you're here." She smiled, looking over to Lacey. "And you too."