Challenge

The PASS alarm sound echoed up ahead, signalling the way we needed to go. Myself and Pixie moved through the hallway, unable to see even a single step ahead through our blacked out masks. With each step, the alarm got louder, until we entered the room that we needed to be in, and shuffled forwards. We'd barely taken more than a few small steps before I heard a rustling sound up ahead.

"I'm over here. Follow the sultry sound of my voice." Dodger whispered dramatically.

I knew what was coming before it did, and shook my head in exasperation as Alex's voice rang out from the radio attached to our uniforms.

"Dodger, shut up. This is a drill. Say another word and I'll rerun it from scratch."

In a typical Dodger fashion, he did the total opposite and continued sarcastically.

"Well I'd be long dead by the time these two finally found me.. I've been here a good five minutes."

I groaned internally, my tired brain was practically screaming in protest at the idea of having to repeat the exercise again. It was a popular favourite drill to run on the days after we'd all been at the pub the night before. Being made to use our knowledge and intellect first thing, whilst in a delicate condition was a way of keeping us on our toes.

"You've barely been in here for one minute Dodge. I replied with a sigh, unsurprised by his melodramatic tone, and stopping as my foot bumped against something firm.

I reached down and realised it was Dodger, laying on his side, as instructed, and waiting for our arrival.

"Well I guess it seems longer when you're laying here."

"Maybe you should get off your ass and try this part of it then." Pixie sniped at him, kneeling next to me.

"Firefighter Olsen, run the drill." Alex snapped.

I heard a slight thud, and a responding yelp, which I presumed was Pixie swatting Dodger on the leg.

"Sorry Sub." He replied, falling silent.

I fought off the laugh that was working its way up my throat at the pair of them, and set about completing the job at hand. These morning drill times were often a reason for irritability. Especially when we all wanted to be inside downing at least an entire pot of coffee each.

When we'd completed the task to standard and left the room a short time later, our blacked out masks now resting under our arms, we rejoined the others outside, stopping short of the rest of the Watch. The look on Alex's face told us that we were about to be on the receiving end of one of his scoldings. Deciding to push it a touch more, Dodger proved once again that he couldn't keep quiet, his voice calling out from behind me:

"Sub, may I just say, in my defence," Dodger started, a deep tone of sincerity in his voice, as he clutched at his chest, "That I genuinely feared for my life."

The rest of the Watch chuckled among themselves as Pixie and myself looked on in disbelief and amusement. I admired his tenacity, even though it rarely paid off.

"I'm sure you did. The prospect of going through one drill sensibly must have been terrifying to you." Alex replied, matching his tone.

His reply got an even bigger reaction from the others, and a false, shocked gasp from Dodger.

"Just be grateful that they found your location before you opened your mouth, or I'd have made you rerun it over and over until lunch." He finished sternly.

"Sub." The three of us nodded, happy to have escaped a lecture on appropriate drill behaviour, then passed by, allowing the next group, Sam, Cain and Rosie, to move forward to begin their drill.