11

Logan looked this boy over. He was.. dirty.. to say the least. Not only did he not smell the nicest, but he had actual dirt on his clothes, hands, and face.

Logan shook his head to relieve his thoughts. "Shall we get started? Which subject would you like to begin with?" He asked.

"Uhhh," Remus thought, looking over the worksheets in front of him and Logan. He'd rather not start on anything. Remus just wanted to go home and sit in front of the television, not have to work on anything. "English, I guess" he said finally.

"Alright, sounds good." Logan put the rest of the papers to the side and picked up the English packet of vocabulary and grammar practise. He turned it around so Remus could see it right-side-up. Logan could read it upside down still so that was fine.

"The first one is 'deliberately'" Logan read. "What does that word mean?"

Remus only shrugged.

"Read the definition, it's right there under the word" Logan pointed to the small defining phrase.

Remus looked at it for a few seconds before leaning back in his chair and saying, "this is stupid! When am I ever gonna use a word like del- whatever you said!"

Logan sighed. "Perhaps we should come back to it.. how about we transition to math?" He got out the math packet and pushed the English one to the side.

"Complete the following arithmetic sequence" Logan read off the paper. "Six, twelve, eighteen, twenty-four, blank, thirty-six, forty-two, blank, fifty-four. I suppose they're asking you to fill in the numbers that go in the blanks"

Remus looked at the numbers, he thought he remembered a teacher explaining this during class one time but he couldn't recall how to solve the problem so he shrugged again.

"Well.." Logan started, "this is an arithmetic sequence, so what is the common difference?"

"The what now?"

"The common difference, how much you need to add to each number to get the next one."

"I don't know" Remus said, crossing his arms.

Logan sighed, he was getting frustrated. Why wasn't Remus even trying? He's wasting time! Doesn't he want to pass these classes? Logan thought.

"Okay.. the first number is six and the second is twelve. Twelve minus six is six. Eighteen minus twelve is also six, and twenty-four minus eighteen is six as well. So what is the common difference?" Logan asked again.

Remus wasn't even paying attention.

"Remus!" Logan waived his hand in front of the other boy's face.

He perked up, "huh?"

"What's the common difference?"

"I told you! I don't know!" He complained.

Logan looked at his watch. It had been almost forty-five minutes. They hadn't even gotten any work done. He sighed, disappointed. "Perhaps we should end this session early. And start back up later." Logan suggested.

"That's the best idea you've had all day!" Remus said, sliding his papers directly into his backpack, not separating them into folders to prevent them from damage and wrinkling. "See ya later, Nerdy Wolverine!" And with that, he walked out of the building and started home.