Chapter 36 - Diamonds can burn

1990 CE

The other diamonds were surprised by the gifts to say the least, yet more than happy to put the gems to use in their armies. The fire-producing gems proved to be valuable assets.

Red Diamond smiles lightly as she fiddles with her diamond communicator.
"Once we do this, there's no turning back. Are you sure you want to do this?" The tourmaline fusion narrows her eyes in concern.
"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, Tourmaline" Red sighs as she places the device to the side. "Think about it, we can live together and be free."

"Free from being a servant. Free to be what we want." Clasping the hands of the fusion in her own, the two exchange shaky smiles.
The pink and lime gem engulf Red Diamond in a tight hug in which the red gem quickly returns.

"We will leave this life behind, but we won't be alone. We always have a place to go."

Tourmaline quickly composes herself before letting go of the hug. "We-... I'm ready when you are."

"It's decided then. Stand back." The fusion stands back quickly, barely missing the fireball that shot passed her face and finally made contact with the newly constructed Homeworld warp pad. Tourmaline cringes at the sight of the once functional device crash in on itself. Perhaps she might be able to scavenge for useful components later for something else, but for now that could wait.

Holding her hands out, Tourmaline pulls what looks like shards of painite, but in reality they were just decoys. Sprinkling the red shards onto the ground around her.
"I'll set up the ship, Y/n." Tourmaline smiles as she exits the Mars moon base.

Picking up the diamond communicator once again, Red sets up an emergency call.

Gems of all kinds look up from the dusty red planet after a bright light engulfs the side of Phobos, followed by a loud explosion. The Mars moon base had been destroyed.
Panic had set in as the gems realized one by one the danger their leader was in.

Diamonds can burn.

--------
Sorry for no real update in a long time, motivation is lacking majorly for me and school has been weird as hell thanks to the virus.