14| Bruises

Soundtrack: Domestic Pressures by Johann Johannson

"Yoongi! Ugh – you're hurting me."

The pianist opened his eyes and was immediately blinded by light. He tried to make sense of where he was and what was happening, when he understood he had fallen asleep in Victoria's bed.

Oh shit.

And now he was tightly holding her, his arms around her waist and her whole body was tensing from the contact on her bruises. He let go fast and then rolled to get away from her. It ended with himself falling on the ground.

"Fuck! I'm sorry, I fell asleep," he muttered, rubbing his eyes, his butt on the carpet.

He felt sore from sleeping with his uncomfortable jeans and his belt, and he couldn't feel his right arm, which had sneaked under Victoria's body while he was sleeping, like it had a mind of its own, and was now emptied from all its blood.

Victoria smiled at him, soft and cheerful, her hair sticking in every direction.

"Are you kidding! I'm glad you stayed."

The man stood up, still trying to shake up the sleepiness.

"Oh god! Your face!" he exclaimed when he got a good look at her.

Victoria stood up with a painful wince, taking hesitant steps to face the mirror on the wall. She removed her hoodie, groaning from the discomfort and looked at her reflection.

"Holly shit!"

Dark purple marks covered her legs and her arms, her jaw, her cheek, the palm of her hands. The initial red marks had completely changed color, turning to shades of burgundy and plum.

"I think I never saw so much bruises on one person at once," she spoke, turning in front of the mirror to look at herself, voice scratchy.

Yoongi stared at her arms and legs. She looked really banged up.

"Well. This hurts like a bitch. I'm probably just going to pop some pills, go back to bed and wish I was never born," she said.

Yoongi shook his head.

"I think you should eat something first."

The girl flinched at the idea.

"I can't eat anything right now! I feel like trash."

Yoongi narrowed his eyes in disapproval and she sharply glared at him.

"You don't have to baby me, Yoongi. I can take care of myself. They are bruises, they will hurt, and it will suck for a while, but I'll get through it."

He tilted his head to the side and sighed in indignation.

"I'm not babying you! And I know you can take care of yourself, I'm just worried okay! You look horrible!"

The girl was about to say something back, but then her cellphone rang.

Yoongi just had the time to see the name Maman on her screen before she picked up.

"Allo?"

There was a loud worried voice at the other end of the line and Yoongi sat down at the kitchen island while Victoria slowly waddled around the room, holding her cellphone in a weird manner to avoid the bruises on her hands.

She spoke to her mom in French, fast and looking discouraged. From the conversation, Yoongi understood that her family had found out she was injured because she was still on her parents' insurance plan and they had received the hospital receipt.